Cookie

Dome Thermometer Calibration

Prepping a large roast for tonight's dinner, had some extra time and decided to check the accuracy of both of my Tel-tru dome thermometers...

Cheech (23"):  Was off by 10 degrees F.  Easily adjusted rear nut and now dialed in.

Chong (21"):  Was dead nuts accurate.

It had been years since I had checked Cheech's.  Chong is only a year old.  I also checked my Mavericks while I was at it...all 3 digitals were within 1 degree F of spot on accurate.  Not even sure if those are adjustable, but thought I'd take a look since I had water boiling.  I'm not a 1 degree accuracy cook(ie), so not even going to get out the manuals.  4 thermometers, only one needed adjusting, better than I expected.

For whatever that info is worth...

Yep, always a good thing to do every once in a while, especially if you drive them off-scale high (leave in during a sear) or low (leave in on very cold nights).

I do both of those all the time ....... Oh wait not really cold nights as my really cold might be 26* f.

Sorry couldn't resist MacKenzie :-)

Charles - Prometheus 16.5", Cassiopeia 19" TT

Is it simple to check the calibration on the KK? do you need to take the thermometer off the KK and test it in boiling water? or is there an easier way to do it?

cheers.

The thermometer is held onto the KK by an inside clip. Will take maybe 30 seconds to remove. Test it in boiling water, should be 212*. If you live in extreme altitude you might want to compensate for that but 212* should be close enough. A nut on the back will change the calibration.

For those who have used their KK a bit between calibrations, remove the clip then try and clean the probe with a scubbie before removing thermometer from the KK. It will pull out easier if not all gunked up.

Charles - Prometheus 16.5", Cassiopeia 19" TT

Edited by ckreef

Found two more old remote thermometers in a drawer today, decided to test them for accuracy as I was trying to de-clutter.  It seems like when these things first came out, everyone that knew me thought they had found the perfect gift!  I think these two made it a collection of 5 as I have 3 sets still working well.  One of these was an old Maverick, the other a Thermoworks, similar to the Mavericks, that I got free with a thermapen one time.

The probes for these two still proved working / accurate and can be used with my other units; however, the devices themselves were both off by 10 degrees (low).  I tested with a variety of my other probes / thermos to determine it was the devices and not the probes.  A quick search online and doesn't look like either can be user calibrated.

Two in the bin.

My thermapen, which many of you know is not cheap, is acting up.  If I open it all the way to the 'on' position, it doesn't come on.  I have to back it off a hair from fully open, it comes on, and is still the most accurate of the lot.  Just annoying as it cost 3 x what the rest of them do...

Cookie

They replaced my cheap thermo-pop no questions asked!  Just sent a new one. FYI 

Is call them they have been known to send replacements for such issues

My thermapen, which many of you know is not cheap, is acting up.  If I open it all the way to the 'on' position, it doesn't come on.  I have to back it off a hair from fully open, it comes on, and is still the most accurate of the lot.  Just annoying as it cost 3 x what the rest of them do...

Cookie

Cookie, my older one (6 or 7 years old) started doing something similar. I had to take out the battery and re-insert it for it to come on. It worked fine otherwise. That unit went to the brewing room, where it doesn't get used very often. I ended up buying another one, when they went on sale, for the kitchen.