MacKenzie

Sous Vide Chicken and Crème brûlée

Sous vide the chicken in some stock for 3.5 hours @140F then used it all to make chicken ala king. Also made some pineapple flowers to cheer up this windy cold winter night.

uyHMzJi.jpg

For dessert made Crème brûlée in mason jars. SV at 176F for 1 hour. The only ingredients were whipping cream, egg yolks, salt and sugar. Talk about creamy smooth. Then came the fun part. I got out my BBQ Mapp torch to caramelize the sugar. I was afraid that I'd break the glass so stayed away from the edge. This jar is not straight sided so I think next time I'll pick jars with straight sides so I can flame closer to the edge.

3pkFUEc.jpg

Tony is correct, I did thin slices of the pineapple, put them on a baking sheet with parchment paper and into the oven at 225F for about an hour, flip half way through. The next step is to air dry but I put them in the dehydrator to finish drying. Seal in air tight bag. I just used a sharp knife, the slices are probably a good 1/8 th inch think.

I need Dennis' new thermometer to convert MacKenzie, but anything that is a negative number sounds too cold to me! Stay warm tonight. We are headed over to a friends house and she is trying homemade pasta for her first time she also mentioned prawns, garlic and butter, I have been saving up my calories all day!😜<br />

PJ

Tony is correct, I did thin slices of the pineapple, put them on a baking sheet with parchment paper and into the oven at 225F for about an hour, flip half way through. The next step is to air dry but I put them in the dehydrator to finish drying. Seal in air tight bag. I just used a sharp knife, the slices are probably a good 1/8 th inch think.

Sounds like I could do that and it would make a good garnish for an upcoming Asian challenge.

Now if I can figure out how to ban tinyfish and bosco from seeing this thread - LOL

Charles - Prometheus 16.5", Cassiopeia 19" TT

Thanks, PJ, the flower did help. :) It has been really cold and windy here for the last few days, like -25 C.

To quote a previous POTUS, "I feel your pain." It's -20C here, that's 4 Below Zero Fahrenheit for you English system folks. With the windchill, it's -23F outside. I am NOT firing up the KK to make dinner tonight!!!  :cold:

Sounds like I could do that and it would make a good garnish for an upcoming Asian challenge.

Now if I can figure out how to ban tinyfish and bosco from seeing this thread - LOL

Just call "dibs" Charles! 

All those Crème brûlée desserts left me with lots of egg whites. I decided I'd do an egg white omelette for breakfast. Whipped the whites and poured them into a deBuyer pan. After they started to set added, tomato slices, red pepper and mushroom slices. Once they started to cook added some shredded cheese and the result is-

yYS3omm.jpg

Plated.

tjusqUW.jpg

t1IOgMW.jpg

Now I know what I can do with all those egg whites that are also left from making ice cream.:)

That is an interesting way to use up the egg whites. Would have never thought to do that. I just pitch the whites into the trash. Might have to rethink that in the future.

Did a quick check and Yes, egg whites freeze very well. 

FREEZING EGGS

If you have more eggs than you can use within a few weeks of buying them, you can break them out of their shells and freeze them. Freeze only clean, fresh eggs.

WHITES

Break and separate the eggs, one at a time, making sure that no yolk gets in the whites. Pour the whites into freezer containers, seal tightly, label with the number of egg whites and the date, and freeze. For faster thawing and easier measuring, first freeze each white in a standard ice cube tray. Then transfer to a freezer container.

YOLKS

The gelation property of egg yolk causes it to thicken or gel when frozen, so you need to give yolks special treatment. If you freeze them as they are, egg yolks will eventually become so gelatinous that they will be almost impossible to use in a recipe. To help retard this gelation, beat in either 1/8 teaspoon salt or 1 1/2 teaspoons sugar or corn syrup per 1/4 cup of egg yolks (about 4 yolks). Label the container with the number of yolks, the date, and whether you’ve added salt (for main dishes) or sweetener (for baking or desserts). Freeze.

WHOLE EGGS

Beat just until blended, pour into freezer containers, seal tightly, label with the number of eggs and the date, and freeze.

TO USE FROZEN EGGS

In a home freezer, you can freeze eggs for up to one year. When you’re ready to use frozen eggs, thaw them overnight in the refrigerator or under running cold water. Use egg yolks or whole eggs as soon as they’re thawed. Thawed egg whites will beat to better volume if you allow them to sit at room temperature for about 30 minutes. Use thawed frozen eggs only in dishes that are thoroughly cooked.

46-using-frozen-eggs.jpg