ckreef

Whole Fish Grilled Direct

Last night was whole fish grilled direct on Cassiopeia served with rice Caserole and rosemary carrots cooked on Prometheus.

Pictures first this time.

56e7871801c0734d8e5ea8f2e26949cf.jpg

c87a318d7b166f6530ba148b0f29a4f0.jpg

520f8d40f2b399c0475ec430ff4ed388.jpg

The dinner tasted excellent. The sides were spot on and the fish was flakey and moist.

But I did make three technical errors with the fish which makes the cook a failure in my mind but hey that's just me.

1) when prepping the fish I cut through the bones on one side of the spine from the inside. Stupid mistake and not sure what I was thinking. Didn't hurt anything but made the fish a bit harder to eat.

2) made 3 shallow slits on each side of the fish. When grilling direct it's best not to slit the skin as the slits makes it more difficult to flip without tearing up the skin. At least don't make so many, so big on this small of a fish. I should have known better.

3) using the upper grate I should have cooked direct at 500* not 400* like I did. In the past I've found that 500* is the magic number where your grates become truly non stick. This is extra important with delicate fish. Not following my own protocol - Bad Guru.

Oh well better fish next time.

Charles - Prometheus 16.5", Cassiopeia 19" TT

Been there, done that, way too many times. We ARE our own worst critics. My guests will be raving about the food and I'll be sulking at the table because I f'ed up some minor detail. 

btw, charles, my last whole fish (red snapper) was such a disaster that I haven't tried it again and I have a beautiful one in the freezer right now. 

btw, charles, my last whole fish (red snapper) was such a disaster that I haven't tried it again and I have a beautiful one in the freezer right now.

I appreciate the sympathy.

I think I had the opposite problem with this meal. My last whole fish cook I considered a huge success and then this one where I figured I knew what I was doing. I didn't gripe too much at the dinner table because Mrs skreef and my son were enjoying their meal but dang it pissed me off.

Charles - Prometheus 16.5", Cassiopeia 19" TT

• Like 2