Rak

Ribs!

I wanted to get used to the new KK so I thought a low and slow rib cook should do the trick.  I had trouble with my temperature control during venting, so I could definitely use the practise! LOL

I'm still getting used to the vent settings for the KK so I wanted to bring her up nice and easy.  I figured while it was heat soaking, i'd go grocery shopping and get those ribs.  When I returned 2 hours later, it was still sitting at 170F!  For 2 hours, the grill had settled in at 170F...I was impressed!!  I opened up the top vent about a 1/4 turn and got nicely settled into 225F.

For my ribs, I chose back ribs as they looked really meaty.  I rubbed down 2 racks, one spicy and one sweet heat.  Normally when I make ribs, I'll either spray them every hour or so with an apple juice/cider vinegar mix or I'll wrap them.  But since this was my first rib cook on the KK, I wanted to see what I was working with, so went with a no fuss approach.  I threw in some peach wood for smoke and put the ribs on the grill.  No wrapping, no spraying...in fact, no touching the at all for 4 - 4 1/2 hours.  I figured the results will give me a base line for future rib cooks.

As you can see, I'm settled in to 225F.  It stayed locked in like that for the duration of the cook including heat soaking, and only increased 10F towards the end when I was taking pics and glazing!  

post-2508-0-21806000-1453602010_thumb.jp

Got those bad boys on the grill.

post-2508-0-50087800-1453602024_thumb.jp

At the 4 1/2 hour mark, I glazed them.  Usually I like my ribs dry, and the family like theirs sauced, but I'd just picked up some homemade mango habanero jelly and wanted to try it.  The back rack have Sweet Baby Rays and the front ones have the mango glaze.

post-2508-0-56957600-1453602036_thumb.jp

As you can see, they came out great!!  Really nice, clean smoke flavour and very moist.  The meat was moist but had a bit of a bite to it, next time I will spray as it cooks as I prefer my ribs a little closer to fall off the bone.  

post-2508-0-87682000-1453602045_thumb.jp

Dinner is served....cant post without a money shot right?!

post-2508-0-49005200-1453602059_thumb.jp

What surprised me:

• I was locked in at 170F...I've never been able to hold a grill that low before
  • How much moisture there was.  Whenever I opened I the lid, water would drip down the sides, and because it was so cold outside, I actually had an icicle hanging off the bottom!  Liquid Smoke Ice ;) (that one is for you Charles!)
  • I really liked how clean the smoke taste was, I was surprised by that difference

Steak is on the menu for tomorrow, and I'm looking forward to using some of that rub Jon B gave me!

Thanks for looking smile.png

Love that it settled at 170º.. with some futzing it's possible to stabilize at 110º..

Great smoke ring.. on your KK it's from not opening and cooking at 235º

My wife loves then just like that.. Home run!

Spraying with juice is great to add a bit of caramelization but you had the sauce already..

Spraying with vinegar is great to add a bit of tang.. but to get you meat more tender) fall off the bone) you don't need to spray, you only need to cook it longer.  From the texture of your ribs, my guess is that those ribs were about 185º   You probably want them up around 200º or more for falling off the bone. I want mine to pull clean from the bone but leave a bite mark and still have a bit of chew.. Probably a bit over 190º.  The falling off the bone is a bit like baby food for me..

My favorite doneness test..

Grab the ribs from the end about 30% in and lift and bounce the meat.. I wait until it's just flexible enough to create small tears on the surface.. for fall off the bone wait until it actually tears/breaks. This is a great way to measure tenderness..  Every time you open the grill you loose that big cloud of humidity.. best do it sparingly.