Jon B.

Grill Height??? Your Opinion Please

I'm getting ready to make a permanent stand for Mac the 19" Table Top KK...............for her summer time location (yes I'm thinking summer already).

Was looking at the KK web site and saw that the 21", 23" & 32" KK's average 34 1/2 inches from the ground to the bottom lip of the cooker opening.

I know this question probably depends upon the height of the individual cooking but before I build my stand.....................I was wondering if any of you free standing KK owners would change the height of the opening if you had the chance??????.   :twocents:???  

Any comments/ideas/thoughts would be greatly appreciated.   :read2:

This is sort of.......the measure twice, cut once theory.....changed to.......ask ahead of time and hopefully build just one stand   :shock:  

Thanks in advance!

I'm 5'8". When I built my outdoor kitchen, for various reasons, my 19" ended up four inches higher than the 23" grill height. It's not cumbersome, but I wish it was a bit lower. If you have a choice, I'd keep it the same as standard, unless you're particularly taller. <br />

<br />

<br />

Rob

When I get home I'll measure the height with them sitting on my temporary stands and I'll also give you a measurement of my new hopefully soon to be completed permanent stands. (if we ever get a nice day off of work)

I think the permanent stands come out about 3" taller then my temporary stands but that mostly had to do with storage space underneath and the size of lumber.

Charles - Prometheus 16.5", Cassiopeia 19" TT

My temporary stands puts the lip at 38". I'm 6'1" tall and that's a good height for me.

My permanent stands are going to put the height at 41" which is a little tall but still doable at my height. A little bit of a stretch for Mrs skreef but she'll manage. The extra height really had to do with having adequate space underneath for storage.

Height might depend on if you're tall or short. I image the 34" has to do with appealing to the masses. I'm tall and hate bending over, even my kitchen counters I consider a little low. Kitchen counters might be a good judge for you. How comfortable are you working on your kitchen counter?

I vote for 40".  I am 5' 8", I built my BBQ Wet Bar to a counter height of 40", and the platform for the legless 19" KK was built to have the lip at counter height.  Been using it regularly for some years now and the ergonomics are perfect.

In addition on the 19", when the lip is at 40" the actual cooking surface is at 38".

Gentle-people,

Thanks for the replies!  Found them interesting............no one suggested going lower.  

I was thinking that someone might say it was easier to clean out the ashes with the grill lower or that the shorter significant might find it easier to use.

I'm 5" 11" so going a little higher would not be a problem.  Guess I'll try to simulate a few different grill heights and see want is the most comfortable for me.

Thanks again!!! 

If ash cleaning is a question, I’m only 5’6â€, and I can reach into Smaug from the top and sweep out the ashes through the front vent opening without any trouble.

Thanks for that info!!! 

Measure twice, cut once! Mock-ups work great.

I'm probably going to do that.....only want to lift and move that cooker once Tony!!!!

Most standard kitchen counter tops are 36", use that as a guide to how comfortable you and the Mrs are at working that height. Reaching in is never really going to be an issue unless you are really short (no offense short people) or you make if really high.