ckreef

Workday Butt

I don't work in the rain. Last night I checked the radar and figured I would be off work today. I mixed up a rub, trimmed a small butt (5 lbs after trimming) and loaded up the KK with lump and cherry wood chunks. Everything ready to go for this morning.

Woke up this morning and looked at the radar again. It still looked like I was going to be off work. Fired up the KK and set the vents for 275* (because I wanted it done sometime today). I rubbed the butt down and put it in the freezer to cool down while the KK got to temp. About an hour later right when I was about to put the butt on the KK I got a phone call. Yes we are going to try and work today. Well who am I to let work get in the way of Q? On the KK it went. Got ready for work and checked the temp for the last time. Hopefully I have the vents set correctly because it's flying solo today. I guess we'll know when I get home from work.

2c1fcb4e2732f7449de0fcbfac83bf0f.jpg

ac7ad3745e3301c117d1a5d37c739c6c.jpg

More to come later today. Cross your fingers - LOL

On a side note: I would have never attempted a workday Butt when I had my Akorns. They were moderately stable just not a full 8 or 10 hours stable.

Charles - Prometheus 16.5", Cassiopeia 19" TT

This is the exact reason why I went with a cyberQ wifi. I love knowing that I can walk away and be able to check in once and a while to see where I am at.

Good luck buddy!!!

My guess is that it will be spectacular!!!

It would be nice to know when it was done so I could slide by the house and wrap into a cooler. Maybe they'll eventually get the Meater finished and in my hands.

The butt finished at 3:15 pm exactly 8 hours on the grill with an IT of 200*. The dome temp had come back down a few degrees. Unfortunately I had to go back to work for a little bit. Mrs skreef pulled and wrapped it so I didn't get a chefs taste.

Will pull it and eat dinner in a couple of hours.

ff21e1d8e7375b4d9f401309d904e3e9.jpg

339fbedfb26e1dc292373af03cd23401.jpg

That looks perfect! Great colour, impressed it held temperature (but not surprised!).

So Charles, the big question....would you feel confident leaving it unattended again?

Absolutely. It basically held steady and when it finally finished it was only about 6* higher. I really wasn't worried about that as I knew my vent settings would only get me to 300* at the most (1/2 turn top, 1/8" bottom). Next time won't go as high as it finished in 8 hours and on a normal day I work 11 hours. But 235* probably would have stretched the cook time just right.

Edited by ckreef

So? What's the verdict on the new "special ingredient" on the rub?

It was a basic pork rub leaning towards the Asian side.

But as a special ingredient I used crystallized honey as the sugar component. I really liked it. Made a nice bark that had a sweet component but not overly sweet.

Mrs skreef thought it was my best rub to date. I have to agree with her but as always could use a little tweaking.