DennisLinkletter

KK's Tel Tru Thermometer

I recently received this email.. I don't agree a 5" thermometer is desirable.. But wanted to run this by you just in case..

Email:

I currently own a big green egg XL.  I plan on upgrading to your ceramic cooker as soon as I can as it seems to be the most innovative on the market.  One item however of constructive criticism of your grill is the thermometer.  This is where your grill is like everyone else's and shouldn't be.  I changed out the thermometer on my BGE XL for a Tel Tru five(5) inch diameter glowdial thermometer and it is fantastic.  The size of the face of the thermometer makes it easy to read and monitor even at a distance.  Plus it is extremely accurate.  Also as your large grills are much larger than the competition, it fits the size of the grill.  It costs retail about $100.00 but lets face it ceramic grills aren't cheap in the first place and therefore should not have cheap accessories.   All of the components of your product are off the chart super high quality save one, the thermometer.  I hope that you take this comment the way it was meant as a way to improve a great product.  

My Reply:

My KK's thermometer is also a Tel-Tru bi-metal which is considered the best in the business not a cheap accessory and is the same ±1% accuracy as the large one you are using.  Esthetically I would cringe at a 5” face on anything except my 32” grill and even then I don’t see the advantage of the larger face.  If you are grilling at high temps you are standing in front of the grill.. For low and slow, because of the insulation it’s set and forget.. no need to constantly adjust your airflow like on ceramic grills that allow airflow around the firebox/charcoal.  

I only need/want to monitor my meat temp from a distance and there are many remote thermometers on the market.. I always use the ones that give me both grill and meat temps..  

Honestly in 12 going on 13 years of building the grills the only complaint about the thermometers have been they occasionally fog up.

Whatcha all on the forum think?

Thanks in advance..

A glow in the dark needle would be nice. Just a little easier to see from my chair. Of course if I came off a few dollars and got new probes for my maverick that would also solve my want to be lazy problem - LOL

Wouldn't want it bigger especially since I own the 2 smallest models.

Charles - Prometheus 16.5", Cassiopeia 19" TT

5" dial - that's friggin' yuge! Yes, YUGE! (Been watching too much of the NH primary!) 

Tell this person the trick is to turn the thermometer so that their desired/target dome temperature is at the High Noon position. You can immediately tell where the actual temperature is by relative position of the needle to 12 o'clock. This can easily be done from several feet away, as in my case, from inside my patio door in the winter. Don't need a yuge dial. 

• Like 2

I think the current TruTel is fine. If I want to read it from inside, then I could use a wireless setup.

I would add a second probe sleeve long before I changed the dome sensor. That way I could monitor 6 pork butts and two grates should I ever decide to feed the neighborhood.

Pizza cooks aside, I only use the dome temp for heat sinking and during prep time.  After that, I'm watching my remote thermometer with one probe clipped to a tree on the grate next to the food and one probe in the food itself.  I'm never walking to/from the cooker to check that dial.  The glow dial's color is hideous and would be like putting Hillary's face on a Victoria's Secret model's body.

Personally this 5" shown below does not work for me.. and I also really think the Smoke/BBQ/Grill  wordage is a bit hokey and very amateurish.  

KK grills now have a 2" dial.. The 32" BB could maybe go as large as 3.5" but any larger than that would be out of scale and distract from the whole..

post-2-0-10638400-1455395270_thumb.jpg     post-2-0-19896800-1455395283_thumb.jpg

I think it's a personal preference issue, and frankly, he can change it out to a 5" dial if that's what he wants. But KK's are about style as much as they are about quality, and a 5" face as standard equipment would make it look like a characature of a grill. Another alternative for the temperature hawks would be a remote temp probe. Lots of alternatives available if the stock option isn't what someone wants. But I certainly don't think any change is in order on your side Dennis.