DennisLinkletter

Yea or Nay ~ Modify Charcoal Basket?

The current charcoal basket's bottom rods are close enough to keep smalls from falling thru and with the basket installed the firebox holds the smalls in place. But if you want to pick up and change baskets or lift out the basket the sides won't hold small pieces.  Whatcha all think about reducing the spacing on the side rods on the lower part of the basket like this?  Worth the additional expense or unnecessary? 

post-2-0-94361800-1455309055_thumb.jpg

post-2-0-59802700-1455309074_thumb.jpg

Totally needed. That is the one thing I thought needed improving from day one. I dump straight from the bag and stir my lump between cooks never really emptying the basket. Eventually there is a lot of smalls in the bottom. When I finally go to clean out the ash I have to manually clear any smalls from the sides otherwise they sort of get jammed between the side rods and firebox making it hard to pull the basket out.

It's an improvement and adding a couple more circles of SS around the perimeter can't be a big cost difference so why would you not want to make the improvement? These type of little improvements is what will always keep the KK miles ahead of other kamados.

Charles - Prometheus 16.5", Cassiopeia 19" TT

• Like 1

I have never even given it a thought.

I only take the basket out when i am prepping for a cook.

That usually entails dumping the basket onto a plastic sheet so i can put fresh charcoal in the bottom of the basket, then the already burned stuff on top once i get it back in the cooker.

If any drops, i use my opposable thumb capabilities to re-acquire the rouge pieces and put them into the basket.  :toothy8:

I do not see a need to modify.

• Like 1

I was an early adopter of two baskets, to preserve KK lump between low & slows, while swapping in different charcoal for pizza and such. I highly recommend this approach. I keep my spare on a terra cotta plant saucer. The main issue is ash dropping through at rest, not pieces flying out during transfer.

It wouldn't mean much to me to make this design change. My two baskets will outlast me, and the area between my KK and my garage gets dirty, then the wind sweeps it clean. Leaves from trees (a mild fire risk, I suppose) are a bigger concern than debris from the KK.

However, some people are placing their cookers in pristine environments. There's no reason one needs to make any mess while using a KK, and this change would help, at least for those sales.

Before one tastes food from this cooker: "I don't want a mess on our beautiful terrace!" After one tastes food from this cooker: "Wow. Whatever it takes! When can we do this again?" So this is probably a pre-sales question.

Will more rod and less open space appreciably effect air flow? When I'm baking my higher temp Neapolitan pies...for instance.

It shouldn't effect air flow as these are on the sides not the bottom.

Dennis is not proposing changing the bottom only adding more to the sides to keep the lump in the basket mainly when you pull the basket out. More on the sides shouldn't effect air flow from the bottom.

Edited by ckreef

It really isn't needed. I ammvery pleased with my baskets and have never had a situation where I thought that it would be a need.

To each is own. How about you sell with the standard basket and offer an upgrade basket to those who find it a need. I am positive that you won't see many line up to buy it out of necessity....

Anyways from what I have seen, Dennis only wants the highest standard so we will likely see this in production in the near future.

I see no down side to this. It would only be an improvement. As long as it was minimal extra manufacturing cost I can't see why he wouldn't want to do the improvement.

In th the past I've actually thought about finding someone who welds SS and getting them to add this to my existing baskets.

Sign me up for a 16.5" and 19"

Edited by ckreef