Geo

A KK Sighting!

Just returned home after seeing a KK for the very first time. My thanks to Chris from Dallas, for taking time from a busy Saturday, to show me his nearly-new 32" BB. Let me just say to all the others who may be "fence-sitting" like me... "The pictures don't do it justice!" Until you've seen the size of the spring for the lid, operated the latch, pushed it around, lifted the lid, and seen/lifted the grates, you can't appreciate what an exceptional piece of engineering this is! I'm glad that I have church and a concert this weekend, or Dennis would be answering questions on overtime!

They are impressive aren't they!  And now just wait until you are cooking on them...!

Which one are you looking at?

Don't worry about Dennis, the guy has all the patience in the world.  We've all been where you are now...what? how? why?  Dennis will happily answer your questions and give you even more understanding of what makes these KK's so special and us owners so passionate about them!

I have not seen a 32" in person, but I can relate. When Boz-lo arrived , my jaws dropped . The only word I could think of was STUNNING! Sorry I am so slow with the pictures, not to tech savvy

My friends could not believe their eyes as they helped me unveil this beauty!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have not seen a 32" in person, but I can relate. When Boz-lo arrived , my jaws dropped . The only word I could think of was STUNNING! Sorry I am so slow with the pictures, not to tech savvy

My friends could not believe their eyes as they helped me unveil this beauty!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have been looking at KKs on the internet for the better part of 4 years.   When I first set eyes on my harvest gold pebble at the warehouse, I was blown away with them!!!  There are still days when I look out back and cant believe that they are mine!!!

Which one are you looking at?

Most of the time, there's just the two of us, so I'm thinking that the 19" High-Cap Tall should suit my needs. Occasionally we entertain, and have a total of 6-people. Once a year, I cook for a fundraiser, but that's just a couple of pork butts. Seems like the 19" would handle that with ease. The only thing that I see limiting what I could cook is the 6" rotisserie basket. A turkey on the roti would be out of the question (I think). But even then, I suspect that a turkey cooked indirect on a KK would be much better than one cooked in the oven.

• Like 1

Geo,

not to be the upsell, bigger better type response......

Consider the 23"

I came from an 13", 18", and 24" ceramic set and found the 24" to be my best option for most things. I called the 18" my working grill because I was steadily moving things around to make it all work out.

If you are considering having one charcoal a 19" alone may not be the best option.  As Dennis said to me when I was looking and trying to decide, if you think of the size of a gas grill then go bigger.  A gasser is usually a 24" to 30" size.  The key here is the word grill.

If you break down your cooking habits then you will better be able to assess what works best.  For me, I am a griller 90% of the time.  I like the grillestate (see what I did there???) for grilling different cuts. 

May I also suggest because you mentioned rotisserie to go with the bigger belly.  I like the larger foot print for spinning meats

One of my complaints about a 24" ceramic grill was that they took longer to heat up and stabilize and it had terrible charcoal consumption. 

When I switched to the 23" kk, I learned quickly that it heated up quicker than my 18" ceramic for one and two the charcoal consumption was incredible.  So much so that I really have no need for my 13" ceramic anymore.

If you think about it, 19" grilling space for even just 2 people will fill up in a hurry.  Throw on a few items, or vegetable and you are jammed for space quickly. Also that extra space helps with long cuts of meat like ribs, brisket etc. without having to manipulate the meat. 

But.... with all of that said any size KK is a great machine.  You will be happy with whatever you decide.  Since you are thinking about the tall and not the table top I think the 23" will be a perfect size for you. 

here are a few cooks to help show grill size for you

23"

_DSC1564.jpg

_DSC1511.jpg

Cant wait to see what you go with

Last thing.... a good friend on another forum just spun a 14 LB. turkey on an 18" ceramic without issue....

I have a 19" TT, and a 23" ultimate. While all the grills are beautiful, I'm still drawn to the 23". It's the original design, and to me, the most proportionally correct. It's not too much grill for two people, and is capable of cooking a lot of food! Unless you're considering a 32", which among other things, is great for grilling because of the increased real estate, I say go with the 23".

I have a 19" TT, and a 23" ultimate. While all the grills are beautiful, I'm still drawn to the 23". It's the original design, and to me, the most proportionally correct. It's not too much grill for two people, and is capable of cooking a lot of food! Unless you're considering a 32", which among other things, is great for grilling because of the increased real estate, I say go with the 23".

I'm with Robert, the 23" has the nicest shape in my opinion.

One more vote for the 23â€, for three reasons. As Bosco mentioned, if you’re going to be direct grilling, as large as the 23†is, you can fill up the grate in a hurry with burgers, peppers, portobello mushrooms, etc. 

At the other end, my KK 23†is so efficient that I have no problems with doing small cooks on it. Here’s the smallest cook I have a photo of — four hotdogs. That is really all that I grilled for this cook.

15701033793_c76a1bd773_c.jpg

I don’t really think I wasted charcoal for this cook. I can get to direct grilling temperatures (500-600ºF) within 15 minutes, and once I’m done, I shut down the vents and the fire just goes out.

Finally, since  you’re mentioning the rotisserie, I think having the extra room is good for rotisserie cooking in that the air has more room to circulate around what you’re cooking.