cschaaf

New to the KK family

Hi folks!

My name is Joe Kaeding. I've been cooking on Kamados for about 35 years and just ordered an Ultimate Komodo Kamado to add to my collection. It should be at my home next Friday. I am a PNWBA BBQ judge, but am not too active with judging recently. I got certified primarily to improve my own product. I've added some "about me" content to my profile if you're curious.

I'm a little stressed about getting the KK onto my deck. I have to go down one step onto my sidewalk and up two steps to take the unit though the front door of my house and onto the back (elevated) deck. I only have a 1/2" clearance for the crate with the front door removed, so I think I'll need to un-crate it first. Any tips, tricks or postings of such for moving this beast would be appreciated. I'd prefer not to remove the dome if I can avoid it, but I am curious if I can remove the interior fire box assembly to lighten the unit some.

Also, I ordered the 8" rotisserie basket accessory but it seems that getting the right motor and other stuff is either a black art or a trial-and-error proposition. Is there any current reliable recipe for getting this right the first time? The guy I talked to from One Grill denied that he had a reliable solution because of the rotation direction issue.

Thanks!

Joe

Joe, welcome to the KK family. :) I think you must have gotten the wrong guy at OneGrill. I bought mine from them and it works just fine. Others did get motors from them that rotated in the opposite direction and I believe one call to OneGrill and they were able to give instructions for reversing the rotation over the phone.  My model no. is 4PM05, It has a 40 pound capacity. 

• Like 1

I actually ordered mine off of Amazon. I searched for OneGrill Rotisserie and found the one for our grills. The model number 4PM05 was listed in the description. It arrived at my house in just a couple of days. It looks like the right one but I have yet to plug it in and check rotation. Hopefully my grill will be here next week for me to give it a proper test!!

Welcome Joe.  You are going to love your new KK.

I have the 4PM05 model from one grill and it works great.  Thats the one you want.

I also had to get the grill up onto my deck (up 2 steps).  The way to do this is to uncrate it, empty it out and get some really strong friends!  When you uncrate you will see 4 blue ropes tied around the legs.  We put 1 2x4 through two blue hoops and then did the same with the other.  This distributes the weight and makes lifting it easier.  Just remember the front will be lifted higher than the back to keep it level and stop it from toppling over!  I removed everything from the inside, but didnt have to remove the lid.

Hope that helps.

I was on that Raks moving day.  4 strong friends is an understatement....

The issue with raks delivery was user error.  We had two guys standing up on the deck (approx. 2' off the ground).  We had two guys standing on the ground.

When we put the 2x4s in on each side, the two guys on the deck lifted a the same time as the two guys on the ground.  This caused the angle at the front to be too high and hence causing the kk to come crashing into my chest.  We regrouped and the two guys standing on ground lifted up first and the guys up top only lifted a bit so that the 2x4s were level.  

Another alternative is to take the lid off.  I can't help with that but know that ckreef has done that in the past.  Just be careful placing it down as the tiles around the bottom that have a slight over hang will be holding all the weight of the lid and could likely damage.  Personally have some food and beers ready and get 4 to 6 of your closest friends to help you lift and move using the blue ropes and two 2x4s.  Its heavy.... but the 2x4s and the extra hands will help lift where it needs to go.

I haven’t had to move my KK grill up or down steps. Luckily when it was delivered, the driver just moved my grill, crated and on the skid, around my house and onto the back patio.

However, I do woodworking as a hobby, and I’ve had to move large equipment into my basement via a Bilco door and stairs. The biggest thing I’ve had to maneuver down there was my bandsaw, which is about 550 lbs. What I did for that was to get a very heavy duty hand truck (something like this). I strapped the bandsaw to the hand truck, and bumped it down the stairs with the help of three friends. Having the wheels made going down the stairs quite a bit easier than trying to deadlift the bandsaw directly.

I had a lot of steps to go up from my garage to my living room and out onto the deck. I built a ramp for it and the 5 of us pushed/pulled it up the ramp and rolled it out onto the deck. I took the top off to lighten the load and to keep it from being top heavy going up the ramp. It's not that difficult to take on and off, with a couple of folks (it's pretty heavy for one guy to carry). The top of the crate is a ramp for rolling the KK off the crate. Since you only have a couple of steps, this might be enough to do the trick for you?

One thing in your post, you mentioned removing the firebox - DO NOT DO THAT!! :smt018  It's not meant to be removed and you could severely damage it if you try. 

Joe, congratulations on your KK.

I too was worried about the moving to the patio experience, and while I didn't have to go through the house, though it was an initial thought because my cement sidewalk doesn't go all the way around to the back patio. I have a garden area where the side of the house cement walk ends and the patio area so I just knew I would get bogged down there and to top it off, I didn't know anyone to ask for help as I was just moving into a new house from another state. What I was able to do was able to get the driver of the truck for $20 to move it to the back. It took like 10 minutes of his time. I laid down some plywood to roll his jack back through the garden and wha-la... I had a big friggen crate on my patio.

One thing to remember is to ensure overhead clearance for the crate to lift off.  Easy enough, but it needs the room or you will struggle.

Again congrats Joe.

On 3/5/2016 at 9:22 PM, bosco said:

Just be careful placing it down as the tiles around the bottom that have a slight over hang will be holding all the weight of the lid and could likely damage.  

To Clarify:   The tiles do not hang over the edge, the lip of the grill will touch a flat surface first and not the tiles.  If you lift only one side the tiles will touch the surface it's sitting on.. The specked black that had tiled damage was lifted from one side and then while sitting on the edge was pulled/dragged towards the high side. This pulled the tiles away the grill's face.

The guys (2) that delivered mine were great. I had a 4" slab to conquer to get it into my shop. I built a ramp ahead of time and waited for them. They told me they weren't required to muscle it up the ramp, but money talks and after I greased their palms, the 3 of us got the loaded pallet jack up my ramp without a problem. One pulled it up and the the other dude and I pushed. Mine was in two crates and both were heavy. Once it was in the shop, the rest was easy. Except for when I stepped on a pallet board with a nail sticking up. Note: Don't wear sandals to uncreate the beast!.

On 3/4/2016 at 11:45 AM, tony b said:

I had a lot of steps to go up from my garage to my living room and out onto the deck. I built a ramp for it and the 5 of us pushed/pulled it up the ramp and rolled it out onto the deck. I took the top off to lighten the load and to keep it from being top heavy going up the ramp. It's not that difficult to take on and off, with a couple of folks (it's pretty heavy for one guy to carry). The top of the crate is a ramp for rolling the KK off the crate. Since you only have a couple of steps, this might be enough to do the trick for you?

One thing in your post, you mentioned removing the firebox - DO NOT DO THAT!! :smt018  It's not meant to be removed and you could severely damage it if you try. 

I did remove the firebox before moving the unit. It came out easily and went back in easily too. I read in the owner's guide that removing the firebox should only be done when the unit is new/unused but never after that.

On 3/4/2016 at 5:22 AM, bosco said:

I was on that Raks moving day.  4 strong friends is an understatement....

The issue with raks delivery was user error.  We had two guys standing up on the deck (approx. 2' off the ground).  We had two guys standing on the ground.

When we put the 2x4s in on each side, the two guys on the deck lifted a the same time as the two guys on the ground.  This caused the angle at the front to be too high and hence causing the kk to come crashing into my chest.  We regrouped and the two guys standing on ground lifted up first and the guys up top only lifted a bit so that the 2x4s were level.  

Another alternative is to take the lid off.  I can't help with that but know that ckreef has done that in the past.  Just be careful placing it down as the tiles around the bottom that have a slight over hang will be holding all the weight of the lid and could likely damage.  Personally have some food and beers ready and get 4 to 6 of your closest friends to help you lift and move using the blue ropes and two 2x4s.  Its heavy.... but the 2x4s and the extra hands will help lift where it needs to go.

Removing the dome and replacing it was a cinch, so I recommend it.  I thought about the possibility of slippage of the ropes and had an idea of marking the rope location on the 2x4's with a trial fit and then drilling a 1/2" hole as close to the edge as possible, and then carving or chiseling out the edge-facing 1/4-rounds to create cradle for the ropes.  I didn't end up doing this because I was only going up and down small steps, each with a landing area big enough to set the KK down. But I do think the cradles would work well if going up any sort of staircase or big elevation.  The ropes could be secured in the cradles by capping them with pieces of scrap wood and couple of wood screws.