cschaaf

New to the KK family

My new KK is home!

A BIG THANK YOU to ckreef and skreef for bringing it down and helping me get it set up!

Unfortunately, we didn't get any pictures of the setup process, we were too busy working. I do have a few pictures of the new guy in his place.

Here is is next to my KJ Classic

post-2601-0-81998000-1456095385_thumb.jp

The clean insides:

post-2601-0-70530500-1456095391_thumb.jp

Komodo Kamado!

post-2601-0-39550100-1456095409_thumb.jp

Speckled black!

post-2601-0-49936900-1456095419_thumb.jp

post-2601-0-08408800-1456095427_thumb.jp

post-2601-0-05489700-1456095433_thumb.jp

post-2601-0-46986300-1456095444_thumb.jp

I messed up a few of the tiles while moving the lid. 

post-2601-0-58606200-1456095867_thumb.jp

About 5 of them are like this.

There were two things missing from the kit - grout and the thermometer. But I did get 2 top vent gaskets. The installed gasket got a bit frayed through all of the trips this wayward KK had to take, but I don't think it's serious enough to warrant a replacement at this point.

Now comes the hard work of figuring out what to make first! 

Ok, it's 5:30 & I graduallyIncreased temps to 550 degree. I got one big bulge & some small bubbles, smoke or steam where it raised up so I poked holes in the raised area, & topped off charcoal. Should I stop raising the temp?. I can also hear it "venting". Very little white residue.

I messed up a few of the tiles while moving the lid.

IMG_00701.JPG

About 5 of them are like this.

There were two things missing from the kit - grout and the thermometer. But I did get 2 top vent gaskets. The installed gasket got a bit frayed through all of the trips this wayward KK had to take, but I don't think it's serious enough to warrant a replacement at this point.

Now comes the hard work of figuring out what to make first!

Will the burn in take care of this ???

Probably next weekend unless I already have plans that I don't know about yet. ;)

We didn't have good sun out today, I can't wait to see this thing reflecting the bright sun.

After the Reef's left, we were surprised how much warmer the tiles on the sun side were. I should have grabbed my IR thermometer to check, but the sun side was considerably warmer. The black tiles may soak up the heat.

This type of damage is caused when the weight of the lid is set on something uneven and the full weight is only on the edge of the tiles.  LOL I've made that same mistake before..  Closing the lid firmly on tongs or something solid can do that to.. Seen that too..

That won't re-attach there because the grout on the edges dries out completely..  You will have/need to use the acrylic material to re-attach those tiles that were basically pried off the lid.  Not a big deal..