Newg4

New guy from Illinois

There is no doubt in my mind that the KK is the finest cooker around. I'm still trying to figure out if I want to drop the cash on one. The one thing I don't want to do is buy something different and then end up buying a KK anyway. I'm still in negotiations with the wife, she is very supportive of me but I have some expensive hobbies besides cooking :)

Having just made a purchase decision myself, I understand you concern about the cost. Here are some things that reassure me with my KK purchase decision...

1) On the Komado Guru forum, there is a section for each brand of kamado, and under each brand is a user satisfaction survey. I didn't look at every single brand, but of the ones I read, the KK was the only kamado that got only the top marks in EVERY category! One of the categories considered pice, and even that got top scores from everyone who responded.

2) I have NEVER regretted spending extra for quality, but I have OFTEN regretted trying to save money and purchasing something I didn't like.

3) I googled Komado Kamado, and read about 10-pages of results. There wasn't even a hint of anyone being dissatisfied!

4) All the members of his forum speak very highly about the KK. I guess they could be stretching the truth (But I doubt that they are), but MacKenzi's pictures leave no doubt!

If you have questions as you consider your decision, please ask-away!

Thanks for all the info everyone!! There is no doubt in my mind that the KK is the finest cooker around. I'm still trying to figure out if I want to drop the cash on one. The one thing I don't want to do is buy something different and then end up buying a KK anyway. I'm still in negotiations with the wife, she is very supportive of me but I have some expensive hobbies besides cooking :)

Here’s one way to look at the cost. A Komodo Kamado is more expensive than the KJ/BGE/Primo grills for sure, but it’s still in line with and even less expensive than many high end stainless steel gas grills, and I would argue that it is more durable and more flexible than a high end stainless steel gas grill. 

The way I look at it, my KK grill will easily last me 20 years at a minimum, which works out to less than 70¢ per day. Even if I just cook four burgers for my family for dinner, the grill will still be the least expensive part of that meal.

On top of that, if you love cooking on your grill (and I know you will), you will wind up saving money on going out to eat. Everyone’s situation is different, but for us, our restaurant bill has dropped enough that we’ll break even on Smaug after about 2-3 years. That may seem incredible, given the upfront cost of a KK grill, but it really works out to one less meal at a restaurant for a family of four a week. It’s not fancy restaurants, either. I'm talking Chili's, or something along those lines.

As odd as it may sound, I find cooking on the KK easier, tastes better, and I've been cooking on ceramic for many years. I was expecting to get a much better built grill when I bought the KK but I wasn't expecting things to be easier to grill, to be more moist and to taste better. Talk about a bonus.

As odd as it may sound, I find cooking on the KK easier, tastes better, and I've been cooking on ceramic for many years. I was expecting to get a much better built grill when I bought the KK but I wasn't expecting things to be easier to grill, to be more moist and to taste better. Talk about a bonus.

There seems to be a persistent sentiment out there that the meat doesn’t know what grill it’s cooked on. I’ve never figured out why that might be true, when so many other factors seem to affect the cook. However, outside of a few direct comparisons I didn’t have much empirical evidence to support my thinking.

But based on your experience, as well as Bosco, Mr. and Mrs. Reef, and Rak’s, and probably others that I’m missing, I think that idea can be laid to rest.