Newg4

New guy from Illinois

Hello to all!! I have been reading this forum for a couple of months now and I decided it was time to join. I got into smoking meat about a year ago and purchased a RecTec mini to get me started into this wonderful hobby and I have been hooked ever since. Recently I have been venturing more and more into the grilling side of things and I have been researching kamado grills. While the RecTec is awesome for the low and slows, I'm just not that satisfied with its grilling / searing capabilities. That's where the kamados come into the picture. Long story short I ended up finding this forum and I am doing a little research to see if a Komodo Kamado purchase is feasible in the near future!

The KK is without a doubt the absolute finest kamado you can buy. They are more exspnsive, but I feel they are a better bargain, when you factor in quality. To a person, everyone who has bought one, and has commented on the forum, says pictures don't do them justice, I'm one of them. Even after owning a 23", when I got my 19" tt, I was still amazed at my new grill.

Call Dennis, he loves talking about his babies, I warn you though, if you do, you'll be picking a color before you hang up.

Welcome to the forum, Newg4. Like you, I'm working on a purchase decision. There's LOTS of great info on this forum... I found the "KK 411" section especially informative... And all the members are so very willing to answer questions. Do yourself a favor, and go see one. They are amazing cookers... Like no others I've seen. Best wishes.

Thanks everyone for the welcome!! I stumbled onto the KK while doing some research on kamado cooking and I haven't been able to seriously consider another brand ever since. The design features and the quality of materials that are put into these cookers is absolutely amazing. I sent an email to Dennis with a few questions and we will see where it goes from there!!

I started with another Kamado brand. A KK was never a thought as it was out of budget for me.

I was tired of the cracked fire boxes and failed components and finally decided it was time to up my game.

KK is buy far the best quality Kamado on the market and you will never regret the purchase.

It is so true what you read on the forum... The only regret will be that you should have done it sooner

Welcome to the Forum.  You have come to the right Forum.  A lot of us have/had many other Grills, especially Kamados.  I myself have a BGE XL.  Then I purchased Komodo Kamado and it is my go to for most of my grilling and smoking.  I did get a Rec Tec Pellet Grill but I use it more as an oven than I do a smoker.  The KK is the ultimate Grill/Smoker.  My KK will be with me for a long time and will probably bet handed down to my son.

Thanks everyone for the welcome!! I stumbled onto the KK while doing some research on kamado cooking and I haven't been able to seriously consider another brand ever since. The design features and the quality of materials that are put into these cookers is absolutely amazing. I sent an email to Dennis with a few questions and we will see where it goes from there!!

Welcome! You won’t be going wrong with a KK grill. I know that Bosco and Rak have noticed that their cooks are coming out moister than when they were using ceramic kamados. As for me, a KK was the first kamado grill I ever had, and I was able to get outstanding results on my low and slows even though I had never done low and slow cooking before. 

And as far as grilling/searing goes, KK’s are so efficient that going from lighting the charcoal to steak searing temps takes less time than with other charcoal grills or kamados. It’s not as fast as a gas grill for searing, but compared to my old gas grill, I’m only 5 minutes slower at most. And again, the results are outstanding. Here’s a boneless ribeye steak I made last night.

25154462496_6c23e1dcde_c.jpg

24885168390_5f564d66c9_c.jpg

Welcome to the forum. As the others have said you will not look back on your decision to purchase one of these. Once you commit to spending the coin, you wont ever look back. I can tell you from experience. I have only had my Big Bad 32" for less than a month now and i can say it is without doubt the best grill i have cooked on for low and slow. Its a bit more fiddling around from the pellet smokers however once you get the hang of it (i am still learning here) you can set and forget for days long.

I too have a pellet smoker and it just compliments the KK so well. My pellet i use for quick and fast (lets get up and cooking) after work, with having the benefit of being a smoker and burning wood as the fuel. I can sear on mine so thats the added bonus i have there. Add some grill grates to it and away you go.

So would i own both a KK and a pellet, there is absolutely no changing that decision. They are not one is better than the other, rather they compliment each other very nicely.

So welcome. Dont be afraid to ask the questions you want as there is some awesome people here on the forums to help you out.

I look forward to seeing the KK you WILL end up purchasing... haha.

cheers.

Thanks for all the info everyone!! There is no doubt in my mind that the KK is the finest cooker around. I'm still trying to figure out if I want to drop the cash on one. The one thing I don't want to do is buy something different and then end up buying a KK anyway. I'm still in negotiations with the wife, she is very supportive of me but I have some expensive hobbies besides cooking :)

Welcome! You won’t be going wrong with a KK grill. I know that Bosco and Rak have noticed that their cooks are coming out moister than when they were using ceramic kamados. As for me, a KK was the first kamado grill I ever had, and I was able to get outstanding results on my low and slows even though I had never done low and slow cooking before.

And as far as grilling/searing goes, KK’s are so efficient that going from lighting the charcoal to steak searing temps takes less time than with other charcoal grills or kamados. It’s not as fast as a gas grill for searing, but compared to my old gas grill, I’m only 5 minutes slower at most. And again, the results are outstanding. Here’s a boneless ribeye steak I made last night.

25154462496_6c23e1dcde_c.jpg

24885168390_5f564d66c9_c.jpg

That money shot is epic!!!

I've not really tried that sort of seat yet: have you posted how you set up for that somewhere else?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk