twolken68

Wheel Chocks/ Shims

I am getting ready to place my KK on a brand new PVC deck.  I was wanting to ask forum members if anyone has their KK on such a deck?  We have supported the deck to take the weight.  But will the weight of the KK dent the deck over time?  Has anyone used a grilling matt of any sort to help with this potential issue?  I spent a lot of money on the deck and I do not want the KK or the deck damaged.  Thanks for any input anyone may have!  Tom

Assuming you have structural integrity, any denting of the PVC would only be subject to its density and that varies by manufacture. In any case, I do recommend a grilling mat as that will help distribute the load in terms of the area under each caster. It'll also help prevent burns or melting when or if hot embers escape the unit which is pretty normal with most brands of lump charcoal. I have a Kamado #7 on my composite deck and haven't had any problems, but it'll be replaced with a 23" KK on Saturday :) so I'm crossing my fingers. I'm mostly concerned with rigidity of the composite deck boards as they will warp over time if under load. If you have beams under the deck boards, it's best to place the casters as close to directly over the beams as possible.

I just put boz-lo, a 23"KK on my deck about 1 month ago. No problems ! My deck is pvc, procel brand, 7/8 thick, supported by  12" on center cca joists,& 3 sturdy beams. The deck sets  15" off the ground, & yes I definitely need to purchase a grilling pad

Keep in mind the casters are none locking. I would suggest getting little plastic wedges (cschaaf bought some) and put one under each caster. Would hate for a guest to accidentally knock into the KK and it rolls over the edge. Yea it's a long shot that it would ever happen but for a few dollars it's good insurance against a freak accident.

Charles - Prometheus 16.5", Cassiopeia 19" TT

18 hours ago, BBQKaeding said:

Assuming you have structural integrity, any denting of the PVC would only be subject to its density and that varies by manufacture. In any case, I do recommend a grilling mat as that will help distribute the load in terms of the area under each caster. It'll also help prevent burns or melting when or if hot embers escape the unit which is pretty normal with most brands of lump charcoal. I have a Kamado #7 on my composite deck and haven't had any problems, but it'll be replaced with a 23" KK on Saturday :) so I'm crossing my fingers. I'm mostly concerned with rigidity of the composite deck boards as they will warp over time if under load. If you have beams under the deck boards, it's best to place the casters as close to directly over the beams as possible.

Another POSK bites the dust!! So another angel gets its wings!

Congrats!! Can't wait to see the pictures of the grand reveal and all important first cook!

Toilet shims work great - http://www.homedepot.com/p/DANCO-Plastic-Toilet-Shims-4-Pack-9DD0088523/202305811

I stuffed one under the downhill side of each wheel then gently tapped them under towards the wheel to make sure they were set in place.

Any shim would work, but since these are plastic, I don't have to worry about them rotting like wood. I know HD also sells some composite shims, but they are longer and more expensive.