ColoradoRick

22" Supreme with rotisserie and drip pan issue

Howdy all,

Just ordered a motor for the roto and went about getting the roto basket install figured out. I think I have it about correct. Something I noticed is that the roto-basket will hit the handles on the double bottom drip pan when it is sitting directly on the char basket, which is the lowest position I can see. I don't see a way around this. Am I missing something? I do have the thin drip pan that I can set on the deflector stone, it looks like it has clearance, e.g. there are no handles to get bumped on rotation. Has anyone else run into this?

I would really like to be able to use the double bottom directly over the fire to get the veggies or whatever charred, or while the juices drip down create the collection for a gravy without burning it up.

Up to this point I hadn't even unwrapped the thin drip pan as I really like the double.

I thought OH, OK, I'll just install the rack above the roto to grill some veggies, alas, I don't see a way to do that either.

Side note:

A design idea: Is it possible to create a split in upper rack handles to fit past the roto rods. With solid piece handles, I don't see a way to install a rack above the spinner once installed.

--

Rick

Rick, I have the 22 inch KK and my db pan will sit on the charcoal basket. I did my last 2 chickens using  that setup. Can you take a pix? The last time my veggies were overcooked on the bottom using that setup next time I thought I'd set a rack inside the db pan. It could be that the rod from the KK to the roti basket is in a different position than mine.

Roti 4.jpg

MacKenzie, thanks for the quick response. I will take a few pics when I next install it. I took it all out and stacked all the grills in it. And, I have been betting home after dark lately. I do have my screw in turn rods in the same position as you show in the picture. I will triple check everything again. What I was seeing was that the roto cage would hit the handles on the drip pan while it was set on the charcoal cage. How close to the edge of the inside does your roto cage get? It has to get pretty close to the sides to hit the handles as I recall.  Again, I'll check it again.

More to come.
Rick

OK, so I took the thing apart and re-installed.

I can use the roto with the Double Drip pan if I set it directly on the fire basket. 

I can use the roto with thin drip pan if I set it directly on the diffuser stone. (it has no handles)DSCN0265.thumb.JPG.480f3ccab15e94757a06aDSCN0266.thumb.JPG.3d315dbd20694177ac939

I cannot use the roto with the lower grill or the diffuser stone with the double drip pan.

So I guess that is it.. I can use it, just need to alter my normal layout a little. I will need to see what the drippings end up like with the DD pan directly on the fire, then what it ends up like with the thin pan on the diffuser stone.

More to come.

Rick

DSCN0264.JPG

The second time i did the db pan on the fire box and the juices burned, the first time not so dark but the time was different. Next time I put the db pan in with veggies I thought i'd put a rack in the bottom to keep the veggies off the bottom. I'll be interested to see what you figure out. :)

What do you have the grates hanging on under the tables?  Are there hooks under there or just hanging on the bolts attached to the grill?

If I'm not mistaken the side tables come with hooks that attach at the KK bolts. Not sure if you can get them separately or not.

Charles - Prometheus 16.5", Cassiopeia 19" TT