BBQKaeding

Introducing BBQKaeding and Nimoy

Hi folks,

This is BBQKaeding, or you can call me Joe. I live in the Portland, Oregon area and just took receipt of my first Komodo Kamado - a 23" Dark Autumn Nebula Metallic Bronze Tweed. I noticed that many owners name their Komodo Kamado, so I did too: Nimoy.  She's a real beauty and really shines in natural sunlight. I purchased the SS side tables and most all of the accessories too. It was like Christmas in March. I probably spent 3-4 hours opening all the accessories and preparing the KK for it's move to the deck the following day. Opening some boxes made me smile and most made me grin. The workmanship is top notch and far beyond what Richard's Kamados sported. I was blown away when I saw the top of the dome with the spider assembly - WOW! Actually, I never get gifts this nice at Christmas!

Like many have said before, the impression in person is one of awe. Great pictures and complimentary write-ups don't come close to the personal meeting.

I had some anxiety about moving this unit and getting my old #7 Kamado off of the deck, but it was unwarranted. Dennis engineered this process to be simple and it was indeed straight-forward.  My crate had a corner post damaged at the bottom and the ramp that was installed in the top of the crate was too weak and brittle to handle the load, but the ropes and 2x4s worked awesome so we were able to just lift it out of the crate after removing the dome and anchors. I was especially pleased at how easy the dome was to remove and reattach - but you will want a ratchet for the spring tension bolt because you're going to be so anxious to get cooking. We had to navigate a few steps in the process but it was simple enough. One piece of advice is to survey the path and cut the 2x4's to a length that will allow you take any corners and still get 4 able bodies on the ends. Having the bodies on the inside with the cooker will allow you fit though most doorways.IMG_0976.thumb.JPG.9b691ec244a0f42b04b06

I've attached some pictures of Nimoy for your viewing pleasure.

IMG_0979.JPG

IMG_0985.JPG

IMG_0989.JPG

IMG_0990.JPG

IMG_0991.JPG

IMG_0992.JPG

IMG_1003.JPG

IMG_1005.JPG

IMG_1006.JPG

IMG_1007.JPG

IMG_1002.JPG

• Like 1

wow that colour of the tiles looks awesome. Looks like its been lifted up on a deck of some sort. Great job of getting it into position. Looks killer sitting out there.

Great to see you didnt waste the burn in process and get cooking on it right away :)

6 hours ago, tony b said:

Echo the others - beautiful grill and a tasty rack full of ribs, too! Well done, sir!

But, inquiring minds like ours really would like to know - what did you do with the POSK? 

Thanks for the post.

Well, if POSK stands for what I think it does (piece of s#!+ Kamado), then I have to say it wasn't a lemon like some. It was/is a fabulous cooker with thousands of hours of cooking under it's dome and it produced exquisite meals for nearly 20 years now - longer than KK has been around. Cold smoked cheese, jerky, smoked steelhead, crown rib roasts, briskets, 100's of Papa Murphy's pizzas (on the cardboard), prime rib, rib-eyes, beer wort, turkeys and even chocolate soufflé - it was all awesome. I took good care of it and it reciprocated. 

Within the last few years it started dropping tiles from the cap and the cap recently developed a rather large crack in the refactory cement. There is some delamination of the tile sheeting on the dome, although no tiles haven't fallen off the dome - yet. The base is still in great condition.

The only reason I got rid of it, really, is that I've been drooling over the KK since it was released, but I already had 3 working Kamados. So my desires, passion, a good bonus last year and my wife's permission triggered the transaction :).  I sold my #7 to my brewing buddy for $1,200 with a bounty of accessories.  I still have 2 original Japanese #5 Kamados in working order, including the first one I got from my dad in 1985 (I couldn't convince him to give me his).

My friends and family would never label the Kamados as pieces of s#!+, nor would I, but so far everyone's been blown away when they see the KK. If it lasts as long and works as well as the Kamados have, then it'll be the last one I'll ever need (not want). I would like to solicit everyone's help to convince Dennis to offer a meat hanger for the KK though. I already miss that accessory. It works like a vertical rotisserie without the hassle of a basket & motor and cooks the plumpest turkeys I've ever laid my eyes on, or sunk my teeth into.

If POSK means something else, I'm sorry. If not, you just called my old baby ugly and you should be sorry :grin:.

9 hours ago, BBQKaeding said:

Thanks for the post.

Well, if POSK stands for what I think it does (piece of s#!+ Kamado), then I have to say it wasn't a lemon like some. It was/is a fabulous cooker with thousands of hours of cooking under it's dome and it produced exquisite meals for nearly 20 years now - longer than KK has been around. Cold smoked cheese, jerky, smoked steelhead, crown rib roasts, briskets, 100's of Papa Murphy's pizzas (on the cardboard), prime rib, rib-eyes, beer wort, turkeys and even chocolate soufflé - it was all awesome. I took good care of it and it reciprocated. 

Within the last few years it started dropping tiles from the cap and the cap recently developed a rather large crack in the refactory cement. There is some delamination of the tile sheeting on the dome, although no tiles haven't fallen off the dome - yet. The base is still in great condition.

The only reason I got rid of it, really, is that I've been drooling over the KK since it was released, but I already had 3 working Kamados. So my desires, passion, a good bonus last year and my wife's permission triggered the transaction :).  I sold my #7 to my brewing buddy for $1,200 with a bounty of accessories.  I still have 2 original Japanese #5 Kamados in working order, including the first one I got from my dad in 1985 (I couldn't convince him to give me his).

My friends and family would never label the Kamados as pieces of s#!+, nor would I, but so far everyone's been blown away when they see the KK. If it lasts as long and works as well as the Kamados have, then it'll be the last one I'll ever need (not want). I would like to solicit everyone's help to convince Dennis to offer a meat hanger for the KK though. I already miss that accessory. It works like a vertical rotisserie without the hassle of a basket & motor and cooks the plumpest turkeys I've ever laid my eyes on, or sunk my teeth into.

If POSK means something else, I'm sorry. If not, you just called my old baby ugly and you should be sorry :grin:.

Could you not make a hanging rod and hang it from the three cross bars that the rain cap threaded rod screws into on the inside of the dome.

11 hours ago, BBQKaeding said:

I would like to solicit everyone's help to convince Dennis to offer a meat hanger for the KK though. I already miss that accessory. It works like a vertical rotisserie without the hassle of a basket & motor and cooks the plumpest turkeys I've ever laid my eyes on, or sunk my teeth into.

Okay.................I didn't ask what POSK meant but I will ask............what difference the "meat hanger" makes compared to having turkey (or other meat)  sit vertical on the cooking grate?????

I'm soooo confused :confused:

Could you not make a hanging rod and hang it from the three cross bars that the rain cap threaded rod screws into on the inside of the dome.

I've thought about this before. The problem with that is when you open the dome the turkey (or whatever) would then rub up against the back of the grill. Not sure I'd want that. Also the top cap (and spider) does not sit center in the dome, it's off to the back a little.

Charles - Prometheus 16.5", Cassiopeia 19" TT