Hogsfan

Looking for charcoal in North Texas (DFW)

I've had my KK for 6 months now and JUST now used my box of Coco char. 

Oh my gosh! 

I've only used it once, but this stuff is amazing! I don't say that lightly. I've tried dozens of different types of charcoal and to be honest, I HATE most of them. Even the "good ones" are inconsistent, usually sparky, and have extra garbage or rocks in the bag about half the time.  I guess I've been oversold on all the latest "Best charcoal de jour" at the local bbq shop, but I didn't really expect this being any different.

Man, was I wrong. 

This is by far my favorite charcoal I've ever used. Not one spark, very long burns, very little carbon dust when you handle it, and the craziest thing of all is absolutely no smell whatsoever. It's weird not smelling anything when I step out on the back porch. Between that and the fact that the grill never feels hot, I kept feeling the urge to open the lid to make sure the grill was really lit. lol. 

Anyways, I love this stuff but the amazon price is way too expensive for me to buy it and continue sleeping in the bed with my wife.  If anyone is around here is interested in organizing a pallet, I definitely want in for about 10 boxes. 

Edited by Hogsfan
  • Like 1

I just opened my first box of coffee char on Tuesday. Like you I was blown away!! The box was filled with huge chunks and it burned very clean. No Sparks and little ash. I have yet to dip into my stash of coco char but I expect that I will be just as amazed. The big problem now is how to figure out what cooks are Komodo Charcoal worthy...

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Newg4 said:

The big problem now is how to figure out what cooks are Komodo Charcoal worthy...

All of them.

But, I understand hording it for "special" cooks, given how difficult it is to come by at a reasonable price (accounting for the shipping.) I generally only use mine for very long cooks - pork butts and briskets.  

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Hogsfan said:

I've had my KK for 6 months now and JUST now used my box of Coco char. 

Oh my gosh! 

I've only used it once, but this stuff is amazing! I don't say that lightly. I've tried dozens of different types of charcoal and to be honest, I HATE most of them. Even the "good ones" are inconsistent, usually sparky, and have extra garbage or rocks in the bag about half the time.  I guess I've been oversold on all the latest "Best charcoal de jour" at the local bbq shop, but I didn't really expect this being any different.

Man, was I wrong. 

This is by far my favorite charcoal I've ever used. Not one spark, very long burns, very little carbon dust when you handle it, and the craziest thing of all is absolutely no smell whatsoever. It's weird not smelling anything when I step out on the back porch. Between that and the fact that the grill never feels hot, I kept feeling the urge to open the lid to make sure the grill was really lit. lol. 

Anyways, I love this stuff but the amazon price is way too expensive for me to buy it and continue sleeping in the bed with my wife.  If anyone is around here is interested in organizing a pallet, I definitely want in for about 10 boxes. 

PM sent

George

About 6 years ago I spent a lot of time working just north of you guys in Wynnewood Oklahoma. If I was still doing that I would definitely be interested in going in on some lump but I don't plan on being out that way any time in the near future.