cruzmisl

Be careful....

Hi All,

The other day I planned to cook some steaks. Anyway, to get the modo rocket hot I usually like to totally remove the draft door. After a few minutes I came out to a modo that was at least 800 degrees and a smoking deck :shock:

A hunk of hot lump must have fallen out of the firebox on to my deck and started my deck on fire. Since it was really windy that day it acted like a bellow fanning the flames. You can see by the photo it even burned part of the joist.

Just an FYI, had it gone on longer who knows what would have happened. Maybe Dennis can manufacture a searing door. One with a big square hole and some stainless screening. That would be cool and would keep me from burning down my house :D

Joe

hole.jpg

Mock up of a removable screen frame..

Maybe Dennis can manufacture a searing door. :D

Yikes.. What i think I need to make is a rigid screen that has two holes in it that can be slid from the inside onto the two guide tubes making a protective barrier. That way pieces can't land on a tall pile and roll down..

Here is our lil mock up of a removable screen frame..

:wink::wink:

Screen.jpg

ScreenMock.jpg

Easily removed and installed...

:lol::lol:

Would it be easier (and less cost) to make the frame with all straight sides (vertical sides would be on the outside of the tubes) and then cut the screen out to fit around the draft slider tubes?

Dude, are you from Iowa or something...we don't do easy, cheap in this place :D

D'oh - I was thinking that since Dennis will be sending these out gratis as a liability prevention, I'd try to save him a couple of dimes! :smt107

'Round here (Iowa) we would have just fixed that up with a little bail'n wire and a pair of pliers. :smt023

Would it be easier (and less cost) to make the frame with all straight sides (vertical sides would be on the outside of the tubes) and then cut the screen out to fit around the draft slider tubes?

Dude, are you from Iowa or something...we don't do easy, cheap in this place :D

D'oh - I was thinking that since Dennis will be sending these out gratis as a liability prevention, I'd try to save him a couple of dimes! :smt107

'Round here (Iowa) we would have just fixed that up with a little bail'n wire and a pair of pliers. :smt023

Actually, we're cheaper and easier in SC, we just won't remove the draft door all the way, and when it's open keep an eye of the coals. I have a keen interest in fire on the porch since I live in a log cabin :D

easier (and less cost)

The problem is that the tubes are lower at the ends /closer to the cooker floor. so unless the hole permitted wiggle that might later get sloppy over the years... If we can find the right rigid expanded plate screen we could make this with out a frame with a plasma cutter..

And yes... I am going to send them out to the Komodo family gratis..

Re: Mod Won't Work- southern boys a bit slow..

Dennis,

The effort is appreciated but I think I should warn you that the cardboard will burn up almost immediately upon being inserted. Back to the drawing board. :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

twharton

Hellooh? Lights are on but nobody's home...

Everybody knows that heat rises!!

Damn, it's right what they say about these southern boys being a bit slow..

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Re: easier (and less cost)

The problem is that the tubes are lower at the ends /closer to the cooker floor. so unless the hole permitted wiggle that might later get sloppy over the years... If we can find the right rigid expanded plate screen we could make this with out a frame with a plasma cutter..

And yes... I am going to send them out to the Komodo family gratis..

Perhaps I'm not following... :smt062 I don't see how having the frame outside the tubes is affected by distance to the floor. You could have some extra space between the frame and tubes on the outside (if that helps the install) and make the screen cutouts as close as you would have with the frame on the inside. Or you could make the damned thing however you want and act like you own the place, your choice! :smt089:D

Weighing in as the guy who spent the last 35 years selling steel and expanded metal, we never used the expanded metal for fire grates as it warped immediately from the heat.. I suspect that the temps at that level are not all that hot thoiugh.

I bet you will find that it is cheaper to laser cut a perforated plate for the application.. Expande metal is very expensive . Then you have to fool around shearing it to size and mounting it to a ridgid frame .. Try a piece of SS sheet.. Perhaps a little bit on the heavier gague size.. can do the air holes and mounting holes as well as perimiter cut at the same time.. Then the only other labor required is tacking on a handle.. The handle may not even be required if a couple of finger holes would allow turning it on a diagonal inserting from the front then pulling forward over the tubes.. Maybe cumbersome but a template would answer that question..

Rory

turning it on a diagonal inserting from the front then pulling forward over the tubes.. Maybe cumbersome but a template would answer that question..

Rory

Okay, that would be a reason to leave make the frame inside the tubes.

Dennis were you thinking a front side install, if so, a handle dead center (or finger holes as rorkin suggested) would be helpful for that.