DennisLinkletter

Sneek Peak KK Cold Smoker accessory

Thanks Jeff, that is very self explanatory.

I understand that the Bushing wedges itself in the Guru Port and it appears to do so very snugly but has anyone come up with a way to keep the Smoking Wood container (tall cylinder with hot coals in it) from rotating on the Smoke Tube?  I saw one Post using strapping material but my brain is working on using SS Band Clamps, like for hoses, through the bolt holes/slots and then around the body of the Cylinder.  Does that sound feasible?

My smoke tube is gunked up enough that it doesn't want to separate from the main cylinder easily as it is. The flange is coupled to the main cylinder in such a way that they are a solid unit, so wrapping something through the slots and around the cylinder wouldn't do anything. The simplest answer might be something like a rubber gasket that you could wedge between the flange and the sleeve. Push the sleeve up tight and lock it down. The gasket should act like a lock washer.

Edited by HalfSmoke
  • Like 1

My controller didn't have an adapter that fit the guru port on the KK, so I went and got a pipe nipple. That was slightly too small and would pop out of the KK. I gave it a few wraps of paper and now it fits snug.

Hey, you asked for a solution, you didn't ask for an elegant one. ;) 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, FotonDrv said:

Jeff, do you leave the CS in place when doing other cooking on the KK??  Maybe plug the hole in the CS?  AND, did you use a special rubber "O" ring for that Mounting Flange to Bushing friction fit?

Definitely don't leave it in place unless in use. I haven't actually done the rubber washer thing because mine doesn't turn on its own anyway. Just surmising that if you found one that could take the heat, that would likely do the trick. Maybe something like this:

https://www.amazon.com/HIgh-Temp-Silicone-Washers-10-Pack/dp/B01J1V7RCM

• Like 1

I've noticed that the air tube in the pictures is straight where mine has a bend in it. Is this a recent modification?  Also I noticed that the colar with the screw in it fits very sloppy on the air tube. I'm a machinist and was considering making one with a tighter fit on the 3/4 in tube. Is there a reason why its so sloppy?

3 minutes ago, John A said:

I've noticed that the air tube in the pictures is straight where mine has a bend in it. Is this a recent modification?  Also I noticed that the colar with the screw in it fits very sloppy on the air tube. I'm a machinist and was considering making one with a tighter fit on the 3/4 in tube. Is there a reason why its so sloppy?

The tube on mine is straight, but suspect I got an early model. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, HalfSmoke said:

The tube on mine is straight, but suspect I got an early model. 

I think you did Jeff.  Mine is bent to make the Cold Smoke chamber more vertical, I think.

JohnA, you could make a tighter fit one but mine too is sloppy and it works just fine.  What I did add was another collar, like a Stop Collar, to stop rotation of the mounting bracket on that smoke tube.

IMG_3035.JPG

IMG_3036.JPG

IMG_3037.JPG

28 minutes ago, John A said:

Thanks so much for your help guys! Fontondrv how does the other collar help keep it from turning? Did you taps holes in the cylinder?

I tapped a hole for the set screw si the collar would not turn on the shaft and then i tapped 2 holes to correspond to the 2 slots on the Cold Smoker bracket. 

Most smokers don't turn but I do like Stephen's drilled cylinder bracket solution but for production a CNC cut and folded plate that accomplishes the same thing is much easier and cost effective.. I sent my guys this simple drawing.. They will get a sample made up, we'll play with it and then get them out to all the Cold Smoker owners who want one ;-)

ColdSmokerbracket.jpeg

• Like 7

I just used my cold smoker for the first time which should be call " smoke generator " IMO. Other than burning the tips of my fingers trying to check to see if it was working. It worked great. I smoked some chicken breasted. I stared the grill and let it get to about 200 deg and connected the smoker and shut the lower vent. Temperature stabilized at 225 and stayed locked in for a couple hrs until I killed it. I'm very happy with it so far. Just need to remember to use gloves when I check it OUCH ! 

Edited by John A
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, John A said:

I just used my cold smoker for the first time which should be call " smoke generator " IMO. Other than burning the tips of my fingers trying to check to see if it was working. It worked great. I smoked some chicken breasted. I stared the grill and let it get to about 200 deg and connected the smoker and shut the lower vent. Temperature stabilized at 225 and stayed locked in for a couple hrs until I killed it. I'm very happy with it so far. Just need to remember to use gloves when I check it OUCH ! 

Argh.. I discovered that the hard way too..  The latest version says "Caution HOT" on the lid!
It's an IQ test to see if you get burned more than once!  LOL

• Like 4

I used Maple chips (not chunks) and it worked just fine.  Today I will work/smoke with some other chips but I suspect the result might be the same.

On 2/2/2017 at 4:53 AM, John A said:

Thanks so much for your help guys! Fontondrv how does the other collar help keep it from turning? Did you taps holes in the cylinder?

I only tapped holes in the cylinder I made, 2 for the existing slots in the Cold Smoker Bracket and another perpendicular to the Smoke Tube for a set screw to lock onto the Smoke Tube.  The main cylinder that holds the burning/smoking wood has no modifications.