Loren

Mobility of kamado and location on Trex

I want to purchase a 22 inch Komodo kamado for my new home.  It would be positioned on a grill porch next to the house.  When not in use, I would like to have it pushed against the house - then pull it away from the house for grilling and to accommodate the open lid.  It will also be on a Trex surface.    Question to all the pros: will it be easy to maneuver the foot or so when I'm ready to cook - i.d. Do the casters move well?  Curious if anyone else has this set up.  Also interested in others feedback with the cooker on a Trex surface.  Thank you!

I do exactly what you're proposing: I keep Smaug (a 23" KK grill) up against my house when not using him, and roll him away from the house for cooking. The casters work really well, but they don't negate the fact that I'm moving close to 600 lbs. of grill. Having said that, I'm 5'6", not particularly strong, and I can move my grill wherever I want. The hardest part is getting the grill moving from a standstill.

My patio is made of pavers, so there's plenty of little bumps the grill has to go over when moving it, but the casters work well for that, too.

The main part of my deck is Trex, but the KK is on a section that is ironwood. You can see the Trex railings and a couple of boards on the left and in the lower right corner. The darker section  in the middle is the ironwood. 

Burqa (sm).jpg

I wasn't so concerned about the structural capability of the Trex, but one has to remember, it's an engineered plastic, so it will melt if a hot coal lands on it (or you drop a hot grate). Ironwood is one of those rare woods that doesn't burn, just smolder. The scorch marks easily sand out. If you don't want to substitute another material for the Trex where the KK will be used, you could always just put a sheet of metal underneath it to protect the decking. 

Plenty of half decent looking grill mats you could have under the KK. I can't imagine the very bottom of a standalone KK getting hot enough to melt the plastic that sits about 3" below it. I think the only real concern would be hot lump.

Charles - Prometheus 16.5", Cassiopeia 19" TT

Welcome to the forum, Loren. I'm thinking you'll really enjoy your KK.

I have pavers on my patio, so I don't have any experience with Trex, but I can tell you that moving my 23" KK is simply a matter of getting it moving. Once it's moving, it's quite easy to move, and control. 

When I took delivery of my KK, I took it through the house, across a tile floor. Moving it on tile is a breeze!

Looking forward to seeing pictures of your new KK.

I have a PVC deck, due to the weight of the 23 Ultimate I used a 1/4 inch aluminum diamond plate to spread out the weight and protect it from coals or food splatters.  We just replaced our decks and due to the cost of the decks and the the Mighty KK I wanted to protect both.

KK 3-19-2016.JPG

3 hours ago, twolken68 said:

I have a PVC deck, due to the weight of the 23 Ultimate I used a 1/4 inch aluminum diamond plate to spread out the weight and protect it from coals or food splatters.  We just replaced our decks and due to the cost of the decks and the the Mighty KK I wanted to protect both.

KK 3-19-2016.JPG

That's one Beautiful KK... Especially on that deck. Great color choice.

On 3/26/2016 at 5:58 PM, twolken68 said:

KK 3-19-2016.JPG

I love how it looks like the tiles are leather.

Edited by cschaaf