MadMedik

Rotisserie Leg of Lamb Help

Hello all,

So tomorrow I plan to cook a 6 1/2 pound,  boneless,  leg of  lamb for Easter.  I want to use my Rotisserie because i have not used it in a long time.   I am looking for suggestions  on the  temperature of the grill,  should i use or not use the deflector stone,  and  i have 2  coal baskets,  the standard one and  the one I can  'cut in half' and use only half   a basket of coals and be somewhat 'offset' or indirect with the heat.

I have done chicken before, but never  Lamb.

My thoughts are for  a Temp of  about 350,  do NOT  use  the deflector  stone,  probe it with a basic  thermometer,  and take off around 140 degrees?

6 1/2 pounds and  350,  i am not quite sure how long it would take... 2 hours? 

Any thoughts  would be appreciated

MadMedik

I did a leg of lamb last year for Easter. Here’s my post: 

I didn’t use a rotisserie for this cook. Basically, I did a reverse sear: 275ºF indirect, until I hit an internal temp of 120ºF. Then I cooked direct at 500ºF until the outside was nice and browned. Between the two steps I hit a final internal temp of about 130ºF.

If I was to do the same cook with a rotisserie, I’d use a full basket of charcoal, and cook it direct around 300-350ºF. An IT of 130-140ºF is fine. I think that lamb holds up better to a higher internal temperature than beef, so it’s not as bad if you wind up cooking it a bit more than you had planned.

Results of Lamb Cook
GREAT !!!!

I went with 300 degrees, direct, on the Rotisserie, I dropped in 3 chunks of Apple wood.

Weight was 6.4 pounds.  I cooked. 2 hours 15 minutes.  I should have stopped at 2 hours.  In fact, the last 20 minutes I bumped heat up to 325 to speed up...not necessary.   300 for 2 hours would have been great.

i was  concerned the heat would char it but it did not at all.  It was reddish brick color on outside, and the inside was medium, not really medium rare at all.

Everyone loved it.  Pre seasoned from Costco, probably Pappy's Seasoning...or it looked like it.  Very tasty...oh I added a few sticks of Rosemary thought prior to cook....dropped the unused Rosemary on hot coals at beginning to give it a Rosemary smoke,,,,that lasted all of 2 minutes...it sure smelled good...the Rosemary .

Do it again for sure. 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 1