chukar@bendbroadband.com

Help with identification

Wow...that's a really old one.  I haven't seen one of the legged fireboxes in years.  

Looking at the pictures, and comparing the evolution to today's KK shows how far Dennis has come. 

firebox...latch...flexible grout and thinset....beveled lips.... 2 layer construction

That grill is probably 12-13 years old.  Can't wait for Dennis to chime in with who the original owner was (assuming they were ever part of the forum)

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Firemonkey said:

Wow...that's a really old one.  I haven't seen one of the legged fireboxes in years.  

Looking at the pictures, and comparing the evolution to today's KK shows how far Dennis has come. 

firebox...latch...flexible grout and thinset....beveled lips.... 2 layer construction

That grill is probably 12-13 years old.  Can't wait for Dennis to chime in with who the original owner was (assuming they were ever part of the forum)

What's wrong with the firebox?   Those things were built like a tank.  The legs are like 3x6 cement posts, and even though it looks like one of yours is broken, it still works fine to hold all the weight.  You could patch it back together with some kiln repair cement, but I don't know if I'd even bother with that.   Just leave it in place like you have it and try not to take it out any more than you have to.  You can use a shop vac with a drywall filter to suck out all the ash when its full.

It looks like you are just missing the charcoal basket that went inside of it.  I think the baskets on the current models are deeper and have straighter sides than the old ones which were more dish-shaped, but Dennis might be able to help you out with one that fits it.  Otherwise, in a pinch you could get a replacement charcoal grate from a Weber Kettle and just set it in the bottom to cover the hole.  You wouldn't have the convenience of a basket to pick up and take the charcoal out, but that's not a big deal.  You could still poke a stick down in there and knock the ashes off to get ready for the next cook, which is all I do with my basket between cooks anyway.

Does the gasket leak, or you just want to replace it because it got greasy?

You can get braided fiberglass wood stove gasket, and glue it down with high temp RTV silicone.  The last time I needed to fix up a kamado with fiberglass gasket, the braided fiberglass was gray instead of white, which helps it not show charcoal dust as much.  You can scrape off all the old gasket and silicone, then cut a new piece to fit.  Before you do any glue down, you might want to take off the spring on the back of the grill, and loosen the nuts on the hinge plate to make sure the lid is sitting flush to the base.  Tighten up the nuts,  re-tension the spring, and then you can lay down a bead of high temp silicone on the base.  Put the gasket on top of the bead of silicone, and close the grill up for a few hours until it cures.  That should seat everything straight and tight. 

Don't press down on the lid any more than required to close the latch while the silicone is wet.  You want the bead to stay thicker and help close any irregularities in the mating of the two surfaces.

Your latch looks like it took a sideways ding?  Does it still catch tight?  If not, get that straightened up first, so that you'll be able to make a good seal. 

As for the tile work - see if you can find some color matched caulk from the tile section at your local Lowes or Home Depot.  You should be able to find some sanded caulk that matches your existing grout color, and just use that to both adhere the tiles and fill the gaps between them.  When I have done that, it was with high temp black silicone so I didn't have any concerns with heat.  You should be fine as well, but if you're worried about the heat go with some regular thinset.  People that have used regular thinset on... ahem...other...grills have have excellent results.

• Like 1

Wow.. That brings back memories..

Sold to Steve K. in Brooklyn, WI  May 28, 2006  must have been one of the first with the CNC cut metal because I thought they all had the first generation of the hanging firebox.  Those very early fireboxes with legs are huge and the cracked leg is not an issue, probably done taking it out as Rick said.  That grill also has been superheated probably in an attempt to clean it.. I cringe when I see a lid that is white because of the temps needed to do that..  

Wow black painted spring too.. we have zinc then nickel plated ones on the site. will be a better spring as well as more cosmetically appealing.

That grill used standard thin-set and grout so it  is PRE-Elastomeric Acrylic grout and it's imperative you keep it well maintained.. all crazing/cracks should be filled with clear silicone.. Those grills will self destroy in a repetitive freeze thaw environment.. as will a granite mountain ;-)  The Elastomeric Acrylic grout/insulation which is not both the adhesive and grout solved the last problems and the Achilies heel problem of inevitable expansion when taken to high temps.. no escaping physics.

I'm guessing that the upper latch plate is not welded to the grill so this can be upgraded to the latch with bearing and cam.

May I ask does it have a black fiberglass or Stainless rear hinge spring cover?  Please feel free to call me and discuss upgrades.. I tried to make them always work in earlier KK grills.  That is not the original gasket we used a ceramic with fiberglass gasket and still stock them..

I also noticed there is no SS lid tail spline which made the ridge point much more durable and prevented the damage shown with this one..  We can probably dig thru a huge pile of old tiles in the factory garden and find and cut some specked glass green half tiles to fix that tail if you like..

• Like 3

Here are the spare parts

https://komodokamado.com/collections/23-ultimate-spare-parts

If you need more just leave a message on the chat window and my staff will take care of you.. If you have any questions, please feel free to call me should you have any questions or there is anything I can do for you.  I'm online taking calls and chatting daily EST from 1pm to 5-6pm and then you can also try from 10pm to 6am (hit or miss)

;-)
Dennis 
• Los Angeles  (424) 270-1948
• Whatsapp    +62 818 850-860

• Like 3