_Ed_

New KK order - any must have accessories?

hello all - I am on the verge of pulling the trigger on an order for a 23" - Dennis has of course been enormously helpful and encouraging. Question for all you old hands: my accessory list is the 6" rotisserie, a cover, and the charcoal basket splitter. Any other must haves in your opinions? 

Thanks in advance - very much looking forward to getting to know you all.

Ed

Why is that if you don't mind me asking? 

The CoffeeChar lump is really good lump. I wish I would have ordered a whole bunch when I had the chance.

I don't like Cocochar. Yes it has no flavor profile but once heated to a certain point it gets really brittle and will disintegrate into powder if you look at it sideways (okay exaggerated a little). If you had two lump baskets, one for only Cocochar it would be manageable but I only have one lump basket so I rarely use it. I have a few boxes in the shed that will probably be there for the next 10 years unless I give them away. Sorry Cocochar fans .......... It is what it is ....

Charles - Prometheus 16.5", Cassiopeia 19" TT

The CoffeeChar lump is really good lump. I wish I would have ordered a whole bunch when I had the chance.

I don't like Cocochar. Yes it has no flavor profile but once heated to a certain point it gets really brittle and will disintegrate into powder if you look at it sideways (okay exaggerated a little). If you had two lump baskets, one for only Cocochar it would be manageable but I only have one lump basket so I rarely use it. I have a few boxes in the shed that will probably be there for the next 10 years unless I give them away. Sorry Cocochar fans .......... It is what it is ....

Hey ckreef I use it for all my baking cooks. I guess since you got just one, I better get my own

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Hey ckreef I use it for all my baking cooks. I guess since you got just one, I better get my own

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Kewl, so your going to get your own KK just for baking? What size and color are you looking at? LOL

See how that works - LOL

• Like 1

@Ed Id go with the pizza stone. love it and its the perfect size for your KK that your buying.

Also i couldn't live without my double bottom drip pan. That is in my KK all the time. Easy for clean-up and just works well when its sitting on the deflector plates. Those 2 are the most commonly used in my KK. The roti basket with the reducers is also a great idea. Get the larger one with the smaller reducers inside it. Makes the roti basket heaps flexible. 

The basket splitter for me i personally have not used yet, so if money was tight, id swap that item for one of the ones i have mentioned above.

Good luck with the choice.

5 hours ago, Ed said:

hello all - I am on the verge of pulling the trigger on an order for a 23" - Dennis has of course been enormously helpful and encouraging. Question for all you old hands: my accessory list is the 6" rotisserie, a cover, and the charcoal basket splitter. Any other must haves in your opinions? 

I agree with getting the 8” rotisserie basket with the reducer instead of the 6” basket. If you’re getting the splitter, get an extra charcoal basket as well. 

One other accessory would be the side tables, if you don’t have any handy space to put things on.

1 hour ago, skreef said:

Hey ckreef I use it for all my baking cooks. I guess since you got just one, I better get my ownemoji13.png

1 hour ago, ckreef said:

Kewl, so your going to get your own KK just for baking? What size and color are you looking at? LOL

See how that works - LOL

Wait — here’s a situation where the wife wants a KK grill and has to talk the husband into the idea?

Not only is that backwards, we all know who’s going to be the loser in this battle. ^_^

• Like 1

Thanks everybody - that's incredibly helpful. To be quite honest, the double bottom drip pan hadn't even entered my thoughts - given that I rarely, if ever, make gravies or sauces with bbq. What exactly are you guys using it for?

Thanks everybody - that's incredibly helpful. To be quite honest, the double bottom drip pan hadn't even entered my thoughts - given that I rarely, if ever, make gravies or sauces with bbq. What exactly are you guys using it for?

I use mine mainly as a diffuser and to catch grease so it doesn't go down into the KK.

Wait — here’s a situation where the wife wants a KK grill and has to talk the husband into the idea?

Not only is that backwards, we all know who’s going to be the loser in this battle.

Nah we're just playing - we are definitely not getting another KK. Two is more than sufficient for our 3 person family.

Right now Mrs skreef is frantically trying to get me to fill up the garden space so I don't get the idea to pull the trigger on a Fornetto wood fired oven. Oh wait I already have that idea running around in my head. I just think "she needs" a dedicated wood fired oven - LOL

• Like 1

I'm still a noob, but I got:

• 6" rotisserie - I figured it was big enough for anything I'd ever do. That said, the 8" might be a better way to go. Haven't had a chance to use this yet.
  • Stainless top side tables - love these. So easy to keep clean and I don't have to worry about setting hot things on them. They do get super hot in the sun, though.
  • Ultimate Baking Stone - got this mostly as a pizza stone. I also anticipate baking breads o this. You could, however, use the deflector as a pizza stone
  • Basket splitter - haven't had a chance to use this yet. I didn't get a second basket, but it would make this thing more usable.
  • Cover - don't have mine yet so I can't speak from personal experience, but I'm a cover kind of guy, so this was a must for me

So basically, I got just about everything except the drip pan. It seemed like they would be a pain to clean, so I just use the aluminum foil pans. If it's just a grease catcher, I line those with some foil so I can re-use the pan.