_Ed_

New KK order - any must have accessories?

On 4/1/2016 at 5:01 AM, ckreef said:

Nah we're just playing - we are definitely not getting another KK. Two is more than sufficient for our 3 person family.

Right now Mrs skreef is frantically trying to get me to fill up the garden space so I don't get the idea to pull the trigger on a Fornetto wood fired oven. Oh wait I already have that idea running around in my head. I just think "she needs" a dedicated wood fired oven - LOL

Charles - Prometheus 16.5", Cassiopeia 19" TT

Get the Fornetto wood oven or something similar, you will never regret it. The wood oven will save the KK from the wear and tear of the high heat cooks.

I love my wood oven and would buy another one in a heart beat if something happened to this one.

• Like 1

I'm going to list my favorites for you, you will need to prioritize as you see fit.  I personally cannot live without any of the following:

1. Dual bottomed Drip pan. Why?  It preserves juices without burning them to a crisp, captures dripping perfectly during a turkey cook.  Fantastic for low and slows that tend to shed a lot of fat (brisket, ribs, etc.)
  2. Large baking/pizza stone.  Nothing like cooking your own pizza or baking fresh sourdough bread
  3. Teak Side tables, absolutely beautifully built, sturdy as can be and certainly required if you do not have a table near by.  They look great too
  4. extra basket with splitter.  very convenient and works great for Reverse sear cooking.  Minimal reconfiguration of hot grates, etc when using the basket splitter
  5. A non KK accessory that I truly love is the CyberQ Wifi with the Guru Fan, makes long cooks effortless and allows me to fine tune low n' Slows remotely
  6. KK Cover, mine is in Persian Green and fits like a glove to protect my investment
  7. Map gas torch for lighting charcoal, really effective and efficient.  takes about 90 seconds and you know you are good to go
  8. grill floss for keeping the grates free of gunk, inexpensive and highly effective
  9. ultimate Rib Rack, really lets you maximize your baby back affliction, if you suffer that way...

I think you will find that having a lot of friends is pretty good to.  you'll want to cook a bunch of deliciousness often and without those friends to help you consume the amazing food you may need a physician to help manage the side effects.  I think the friends are a better investment than the physician (no disrespect to the medical professionals among us)...

Ed, I can tell you one thing for sure:

You ARE going to have MORE FUN than you ever thought possible COOKING ON A KK!

Welcome aboard

Edited by Lannoos
Mis identified product in item 5 above
  • Like 2

@Lannoos - Buddy, you've covered the waterfront and seem to have a good understanding of why you're ordering certain items.  Nice!

I would urge you to consider a rotisserie.  I didn't order one when I ordered TheBeast, my 32",   I love the rotisserie and I urge every KK owner to consider getting one.

Finally, think about not ordering the automatic controller, the DigiQ.  I've got one and it's OT something I use very often.  The KK line is remarkably stable with respect to temp.  TheBeast held 350 +/- 10 for over 50 hours.  Now, there are KK cookers here to use an automatic controller to great effect.  I just don't see the DigiQ as an imdispensable piece of equipment.  

Youre gonna absolutely love your KK.  It's so far out in front of others grills, smokers, ceramics it's not even a race!  Welcome aboard!

CC,

I understand your point on the CyberQ (I said DigiQ, but I incorrectly Identified it, sorry about that.)  It is not indispensable, but I work from home and often get interrupted while prepping to entertain (which my wife and I do frequently).

I use the DigiQ with an app on my iPhone called 'CyberCook'.  This app lets me keep a record of my cooks that I can refer to allowing me to make small tweaks on subsequent cooks.  I also find it useful to monitor temp remotely via 3 independent probes (think 3 roasts or 2 pork butts and a chicken cooked concurrently).  I can increase or decrease my pit temp and maintain it via the guru fan (to +/- 5 degrees) when I'm away from the house and need to cook a few Briskets.  It gives me a better sense of when the cook will finish if I'm running errands while cooking Low n Slow. Sometimes I find myself cooking overnight and the alarming lets me know if something is going awry or is finishing faster than expected, and it will wake me up just before the cook finishes.  It is not for everyone, but in some circumstances it provides assistance when assistance is either unfeasible or inconvenient.

• Like 3

As Ken noted, you don't NEED a Guru, but's really nice to have one in my book. But, I will second his suggestion to get the rotisserie. I held off until now (just received mine) and I can't wait to use it! 

Like we tell newbies here:  Don't fight it, just go out now and buy a bigger belt, because the amazing food you're about to produce on your KK will be so irresistible that you will need it!! 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, tony b said:

As Ken noted, you don't NEED a Guru, but's really nice to have one in my book. But, I will second his suggestion to get the rotisserie. I held off until now (just received mine) and I can't wait to use it! 

Like we tell newbies here:  Don't fight it, just go out now and buy a bigger belt, because the amazing food you're about to produce on your KK will be so irresistible that you will need it!! 

KK's should come standard with a bigger size belt, I type this as I ride my stationary bike...

• Like 1

I'm happy to say that getting the KK didn't cause any weight gain, I just eat better tasting food.:smt077 :smt023:smt023

I have to agree with that. No weight gain just a lot better tasting food and I tend to cook fancier meals when I have the time (not enough lately). Now my everyday meals just seem sort bland.

On 3/31/2016 at 7:35 AM, ckreef said:

The CoffeeChar lump is really good lump. I wish I would have ordered a whole bunch when I had the chance.

I don't like Cocochar. Yes it has no flavor profile but once heated to a certain point it gets really brittle and will disintegrate into powder if you look at it sideways (okay exaggerated a little). If you had two lump baskets, one for only Cocochar it would be manageable but I only have one lump basket so I rarely use it. I have a few boxes in the shed that will probably be there for the next 10 years unless I give them away. Sorry Cocochar fans .......... It is what it is ....

Can’t escape physics, the inevitable expansion created at high temperatures loosens the compression between the small bits of the cocoa char..  the result is it being crumbly after it cools.
You will find it is much stronger and not as crumbly after doing low and slow cooks where the lack of wood smoke flavor is also most important.   Even funky tasting low-quality lump charcoal cleans up at high temps..  next time you’re grilling taken note of the flames in the charcoal, this is the organic material burning off.  These volatiles create flavors by condensing on your meat at low temperatures.

The coco excels at creating targeted flavor profiles.  This is not possible using lump charcoal where the result is a combination of the condensed vapors of your lump charcoal and your smoking wood.

The charcoal baskets flitter is my favorite accessory for two reasons..  first, I’m very often cooking only for myself and my significant other, and I don’t want light the whole charcoal basket to grill to steaks.  The second I was surprised to discover is I love having two zones mostly because my hand tires using the glove and I can actually grill on the 32 without a glove. I just stay behind that raging wall of hot air.

The Sunbrella covers are a must if you live in a repetitive freeze-thaw zone.

• Like 3

Guys - thank you all very much for your input - your kindness and expertise is much appreciated. Dennis and I had a chat this morning, and the order has been placed... I am most excited to join you all as party of the KK-owning group!

• Like 1

Great to have you on the forum, Ed. I presume you ordered the 23" Ultimate... What color? Tiles or Pebbles? Options? When do you expect delivery? 

Oh... One more thing... Get your camera ready. We all enjoy pictures of each other's KK's and cooks.

Enjoy.

yep, 23" - went for the dark Dark Autumn Nebula (not unlike the one on the website). Tile sample below... 

have gone for pretty much all the options recommended by you kind people and Dennis. Splitter, Roti, cover, ss side tables. I already have a Guru from my BGE days. The only fly in the ointment seems to be finding the right motor for the roti in the UK, as the recommended OneGrill is not here in the UK. I'll get a friend to send it over in due course, I think.

SmallDrkAN.jpeg