twharton

An Obviously Stupid Question

Re: An Obviously Stupid Question

And just in asking I think I've answered it.

The 'polder' tube on the side of the KK is for the meat thermometer like this right?

O.K. let the ribbing :shock: begin!

How bout my avatar so be nice cos Strong Bad takes no prisoners!

Yup, that one will work; or Guru, or Maverick! Never a stupid question, if you don't know the answer.

-=Jasen=-

And just in asking I think I've answered it.

The 'polder' tube on the side of the KK is for the meat thermometer like this right?

O.K. let the ribbing :shock: begin!

How bout my avatar so be nice cos Strong Bad takes no prisoners!

Yup, that one will work; or Guru, or Maverick! Never a stupid question, if you don't know the answer.

-=Jasen=-

Whatever you do... Do NOT purchase the Maverick ET-73 Smoker Thermometer. That is a SERIOUS piece of junk!

Whatever you do... Do NOT purchase the Maverick ET-73 Smoker Thermometer. That is a SERIOUS piece of junk!

You know, I have heard a lot of controversy over that one. I think there was a factory change on it or something as the one I have works prefect. I have had it for years with no problems. Now the range is nothing like they claim, but it works fine in my house. I rarely use it on the grill anymore since I have a Guru, but I still use in for the oven a good bit. But maybe I was lucky as I have heard of people with problems using them.

-=Jasen=-

Re: Yeah - and another question...

Now - does anyone have an elegant solution for plugging the Polder port on the KK? I have been sticking a small rag scrap in it, it works, but it looks like crap! :smt078

You could make your own silicone plug. It would not be hard to make one with the wire running through it and one for when not using (or make a hole in it to feed the probe/wires through). You could do it on the KK polder hole or even better, make a small mold by drilling the same size hole in a peice of plastic. Another countersunk hole around it would give a lip to grab onto. You will need some kind of release agent (there is one made for silicone or a light grease would work - lard, shortening).

Though, from what I understand by most people here is they just don't worry about that small hole.

-=Jasen=-

polder plug

Fetzervalve: Here is a thought for a plug. Pick up a solid brass/aluminum dowel rod at the hardware that is close to the inside dimension of the hole. Lop off an appropriate length leaving enough to affix a wooden knob (is superglue temp resistant?) or thread it for a cap screw as a tiny handle.

Perhaps a carriage bolt cut to length would be even easier.

They also carry various sizes of black rubber stoppers, but I think the temperature could be an issue.

My 2 cents

greggd

Great idea too Greg!

BTW, does anyone happen to have the diameter and depth of the polder hole and rotisserie hole? Appreciated.

-=Jasen=-

I will happy to provide these in a few hours (when I get home). The rotis. socket is that, not a through hole......fyi

There is not one side that goes all the way through for the rotisserie? Be kinda tough to hook up a motor, wouldn't it? I am hoping to make a mold for these holes so I can make silicone plugs.

-=Jasen=-

It's a socket Bucko.

If you don't believe me, look here::smt062http://www.komodokamado.com/forum/viewt ... highlight=

I have not seen it yet, I am just asking how buddy? I mean somehow it has to attach to the motor? So suussplain it to me? Is there a rod already installed that goes through to the rotisserie motor? I know one side is spring loaded, so how does the other work - some kind of socket and connector? :smt102

-=Jasen=-

All I have to go on is this pic! Oh yeah, don't know whose pic this was, but yeah they misspelled rotisserie - hehe.

accesstubeswdn8.jpg

Disclaimer: I don't have the rotis. It appppears that the motor shaft sticks into the socket on the outside and then the cradle spring loads between the fittings on the inside, the motor socket turns and viola!

It's like a secret passage in one of your video games! Have you ever played America's Army? I don't have a game console, but I rented an xbox once and thought Halo was lame, I prefer to shoot people not aliens. :smt068

Disclaimer: I don't have the rotis. It appppears that the motor shaft sticks into the socket on the outside and then the cradle spring loads between the fittings on the inside, the motor socket turns and viola!

It's like a secret passage in one of your video games! Have you ever played America's Army? I don't have a game console, but I rented an xbox once and thought Halo was lame, I prefer to shoot people not aliens. :smt068

Halo lame - argh - you are on my bad list now - hehe (give it another try - maybe Halo 2)! But thanks for the info as I was never quite sure how that portion of the damn thing worked.

Now after I get some size info I am gonna experiment with making a mold. I got some scrap teflon in my shop and I was going to drill a hole the exact dimensions as the hole, but 3/8 deeper. Then countersink it 3/8 deep about 1/2 larger for something to grab hold of and fill it with high temp black silicone. Just an experiment.

-=Jasen=-

It appppears that the motor shaft sticks into the socket on the outside and then the cradle spring loads between the fittings on the inside, the motor socket turns and viola!

Huh? So there is some sort of spindle in there that rotates with the motor?? The hole does not go all the way through the motor side?

...and I agree. I prefer human based games such as ghost Recon to halo, too :P