Geo

How to... CoCo Char

I'm wanting to try some of the CoCo Char. Would appreciate some assistance on how to use it. I presume that I break it into pieces a few inches long. Do I put in enough to cover the bottom of the basket? Do I pile it up? Do I light it in more than one place? Any other suggestions?

Thanks

Geo

Hit two pieces together, I usually get three pieces per stick. Let them fall randomly into the basket until full. Depending on your cook, a lo/slo for instance, light a spot in the middle, close the lid, open the vents, and let the magic happen. The temp will come up more slowly than you're used to, but it will happen. Enjoy!

Robert

• Like 2

Exactly as Robert does. And hitting the pieces together is fun. Do it with conviction, as practice for when people are watching.

I ended up buying a second charcoal basket, which I store on a terra cotta plant saucer. This way I can set unused CoCo aside without handling it, to use hardwood charcoal for hotter cooks.

And when doing a super low and slow...someone on here welded a gutter spike (or piece of 5/16" or so diameter round solid steel stock) to a small piece of flat plate...light one end of the whole cocochar 'log' and lean it up against the basket for slow controlled burn (and smoke if you set it atop a small pile of smoking wood chips).   

I smoke my habaneros and tomato halves this way...part drying part slow 'cueing part smoking :)

Cooked boneless skinless chicken breasts over CoCo Char. Breasts had been seasoned with garlic & ? at a local market. Put on KK at 350 (Direct). Used my Oregon Scientific wireless thermometer, which proved to be a mistake. That thermometer sets temp to 180 for chicken, and I didn't notice it until the chicken hit 170. Still tasted good, but wasn't as moist as I'm used to. I can't change the settings on the thermometer, so I'll just have to remember that error in the future. 

image.jpeg

• Like 1