Danny B

2009 KK looks brand new

They were really good. I had the damper a little to low and the fire almost went out but was able to get it back up and the ribs were awesome. 

Ribs look good but ..........

I doubt "the fire almost went out". You just thought that. If you only have the bottom open just a hair (literally) and the top vent at 1/4 turn it'll still keep going. Temp might get a good bit lower than you want but it'll still keep going.

This is one kamado that you can actually get to stable out at less than 200*

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Certainly looks good to this Okie!  Very nice cook!

As @ckreef said  in his post, the KK is so dadgummed efficient in its airflow, it's hard to put the fire out without really trying to snuff it.  

I always start every cook with a full basket of lump.  I'd also encourage you to take a Saturday, get a bag of cheap lump, a cooler of cold beer, and learn the vent control settings that yield the most common cooking temps.  I'd start at 225 and work my way to 500 in increments of 25 degrees.  Once you hit a specified temp, make note of the bent settings and let your KK stabilize at that temp for aout 30 minutes.  You'll get to know very quickly that airflow controls your fire and the more airflow, the more fire, and thus the higher the temperature.  

Ribs look awesome!! My first low heat cook I also thought the fire was going to go out but it never did. As others have said, these cookers are so efficient that they have the ability to maintain low temps with very little airflow. Unlike other kamados, air flow on KK goes directly through the charcoal basket. It looks like your off to a great start with your KK, enjoy and keep posting pics!!

• Like 1

Welcome! What a great Mom you have, indeed! You are going to fall in love with your KK, if you haven't already. I love the setting - it's almost a shrine! The beef ribs look really great, too. If you have any questions, fire away. That's what we're here for!