Enginerd

New to KK's. Where can I see one in person?

Hello,

New to KK and new to this forum. Very, very interested in the kamado's here. I've never actually owned a smoker myself, but grew up around one, smoking turkey's every year with my father. Recently, after having some stellar mesquite-smoked prime rib in Chicago, I realized what was missing from my culinary life. So, I start looking into smokers. Kamado Jo - meh. Green eggs - meh. Then I stumble across some that are appealing works of art, eventually I stumbled into KK.

So I share this with my wife, who has very refined taste (in all but her choice in men), and together we feel one of these would make a great piece to our beautiful mountain home. Problem is I'd actually like to SEE one in person. perhaps even in action if possible.

So, are there any retail outlets for KK? Perhaps BBQ joints that have one of these as a showpiece? I've scoured Craigslist and Ebay, and they're slim for pickings. I'm very interested in one, just trying to do my due diligence here.

Thanks from Arizona

• Like 1

Welcome to the world of KK's. You won't find one in a store but most owners are more than glad to show you theirs. Where do you live?

Pictures don't do them justice. Once you see one in person there is no turning back. A lot of us (myself included) bought a KK sight unseen. Nobody was disappointed when it arrived.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

There are no retailers, but if you can find a local owner, I bet they would be inclined to show off a bit. There is a section in this forum that lists people willing to show their grills, check that out.

I can tell you, there's no such thing as a picture that does a KK justice, and I'm sure there will be others that will chime in the same. Feel free to ask any questions, you'll get answers.

Rob

@Enginerd - as was said above, the KK must be personally seen and touched to begin to understand it. Pictures of the Grand Canyon don't even remotely do it justice.  Same with a KK.

there is a thread dealing KK owners who will welcome guests to see their KK.  All you have to do is use the search function.  I'd do it for you and post the link, but I'm resource limited at the moment.  

Call Dennis.  We've all done it and he's the Man With The Plan.  He can guide you, answer all your questions, and help you find the easiest way to put a KK on your patio.  

If you're ever near Oklahoma City, OK, let me know through the Forum here and I can promise you I'll not miss the opportunity to showcase Beauty! and TheBeast.

By all means see one in person if you are able to arrange that.

Having said that, I’ll just echo what tinyfish said. I also did a lot of looking into a Komodo Kamado grill, and also asked Dennis a ton of questions via email and by phone, and ultimately ordered my KK 23” without having seen one in person. In addition, my KK 23” was the first kamado grill I ever used. I haven’t regretted it one bit.

• Like 1

I owned 6 kamado joe grills prior to switching to the KK.  I never viewed one in person but based on the positive reputation and the fact that everyone seemed to rave about them, I knew that they had to be top notch.  I spoke with Dennis on the phone and I was hooked.

I now own 2 KKs a 23" and a 32" and have to say that taking delivery took my breath away.  These things are everything that they are chalked up to be and more.  I have been known to cook a good meal or two with my kamado's, but since upgrading to the KK my cooking has gone to the next level.  They just work better all around.

You will not regret this purchase even if you can't find one local to view.  You will be very impressed with the build quality

• Like 1

@Enginerd - congrats on joining the KK family.  I assure you that you've made a great choice and you'll not be disappointed in the least.  In fact, you'll be kicking your own butt for not having pulled the trigger on this deal sooner!  We all do that.

So, beside the basic Big Bad 32, what else did you order?  I love my teak side tables, my rotisserie, my baking stone, and the firebox divider.  I also ordered an extra lump basic for easy switching when I change charcoal types.  That means when I want to do a low-n-slow cook using KK Coconut lump, I just pull the basket loaded with my everyday lump, and swap it out with the KKCoconut lump.  Easy peasy.  Now is the time to talk with Dnnis about his speciality KK Charcoals.  So, again, welcome and congrats

Thanks, much appreciated.

We opted for one of the teak tables. I asked Dennis if they might install wheels on it, as I'm inclined to keep it against a wall and roll it out against the grill when we need it. The grill will be freestanding and very conspicuous of course. I didn't order any additional supplies, I figured I'd wait to see what sort of cooking I want to tackle first. I've not smoked anything in years (well, I had a Rocky Patel just an hour ago, celebrating my acquisition, but that doesn't count), so I found a good deal on a smoking / grilling class at a BBQ school nearby. I've a large party to throw in July, so I've a bit of time to nail down a few recipes I think. I also anticipate needing more gym time as I reap the benefits of this new addition to my patio. :)

I don't know anything about specialized coals or recommending smoking woods, so I've some research to do. I appreciate your advice, I will keep those in mind and search through the forum to learn more.

Now it just won't get here fast enough!

Cheers

(Picture of the grill's new home is attached)

IMG_0858.JPG

Edited by Enginerd
  • Like 1