DennisLinkletter

Help w/ 42" Roti Cradle Size

The 32" BB has a 27" long 10" wide cradle which seems to be just about right for the size piggy it can spin..

The 42" grill will have a 37" long cradle.. anybody know how wide is this piggy/ should the cradle be?  It will have reducers for smaller cuts of meat but the main basket should be how big?  Anybody know piggy body sizes?

It is going to vary a bit.... Breed, age at slaughter, etc.

With the hind legs tucked under I would estimate a 3-4:5 ratio of girth to length. Call it 3.5 and a 35 inch cradle, the 70% of 35=24.5. 

Is that doable?

If you splay the back legs behind, the ratio will be less but the pig size will be also due to the less available length for the body.

Make it as wide as you can?

Just my thoughts...HTH

49 minutes ago, mk1 said:

It is going to vary a bit.... Breed, age at slaughter, etc.

With the hind legs tucked under I would estimate a 3-4:5 ratio of girth to length. Call it 3.5 and a 35 inch cradle, the 70% of 35=24.5. 

Is that doable?

If you splay the back legs behind, the ratio will be less but the pig size will be also due to the less available length for the body.

Make it as wide as you can?

Just my thoughts...HTH

In the world of KK anything is do-able...  LOL    You want 24.5"   You got it!    that'll be a LOT of stainless...

17 minutes ago, bgrant3406 said:

Is there an issue with cleaning them?

I'm assuming folks throw the smaller ones in the dishwasher or hand scrub it in the sink, will something that size work in the normal home kitchen for cleanup?

Inquiring minds and all that...

NoRmaL... What's that?   All joking aside this is absolutely a commercial size grill and rotisserie.. Last thing I can imagine is dragging that beast to a kitchen sink to clean.  It's definitely a clean with a hose in the yard size.

May want to just sell the 32 inch roti with the 42 for more routine use and make a pig stand to cook the pig in the "running position"? Simpler cheaper and not nearly as much steel to spin. Most people cook in athat position for comps.

just thinking "out loud"

I'm thinking a more traditional spit configuration would work best for a whole hog. A ridged diameter basket is one size that won't fit all. Even with "right size" hog, the shoulders, butt and belly are unlikely to have the same girth.

The key is simply preventing the hog from slipping during rotation and that can be done with a few strategically placed spines screwed into the main rod. Place the rod with the spines into the cavity, pushing the spines along the back bone, and then secure the exterior of the hog with a few belts. To keep with the KK's SS theme, I'd consider copying the concept used for hose clamps and/or garment belts. A worm gear to tighten the belts would work (with a portable drill and socket: http://spitjack.com/product/WHOLE-PIG-ROTISSERIE-BINDING-SYSTEM.html), but there are other options for fastening with the right tension - like a belt buckle or push-though clamp. Thin strap sheet SS or flexible SS fabric could work for the belt material, but I'd want these to roll-up (<= 1mm thick) so they're easy to soak for cleaning and for storage. The spines can be removed from the rod and soaked and the rod itself could break down into 2 or 3 segments. But don't screw the rods together. Use a half-round carve-out at ends and secure the junction with an enclosing retainer and set screws. Then we don't have the rotational direction issues.

SS cable could work too for the belts (with cable clamps), but personally I think cable will dig deeper into the meat, be unsightly once removed, and cable is much harder to clean and sanitize than strap metal. SS chain would be better than cable, IMO.

BTW, when you're feeling better I still want to discuss the vertical hanger/rotisserie concept ;)

Edited by BBQKaeding

3 hours ago, Jon B. said:

Ken,  Thanks for posting that photo.  It really helps show what size pig the 32" KK will handle.   (Still going back and forth on a 32" KK or the new 42"???).  Jon 

Jon, make me jealous and go for the 42.