I have found that if a use a basic rub of equal portions of salt and coarse ground pepper, cook unwrapped at 225°F until its probes as tender as warm butter, and then pull, wrap in towels, and place in a cooler for about an hour, you'll be just fine.

Some folks here wrap their brisket in uncoated butcher paper after it hits 165° or so.  Not me.  But that's an individual decision.  

Have a great cook!

Do you mean 225 grill temp or dome temp? Also do you use the stone diverter under the main grill for indirect heat? I am trying to get the best method for a good bark. For a prime packer cut will the internal temp probe out the same temperatures for the flat & point ends?

Sent from my LG-H810 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

225° grill or dome, they'll equal out relatively quickly, indirect. The flat will be done first. At that point, you can do what you want with the point, I like burnt ends. It's tender at this point, so you can also cook some more, or serve the way it is. BTW, I prefer to cook at 275°, but it's not a big deal.

Robert

• Like 1

@Boz - as Robert mentions above, grate or dome really doesn't matter much.  On low-n-slow cooks, most of us heat soak our KKs for about 30-45 minutes before the cook goes on.  That brings everything to about the same temp.  Over the course of most low-n-slow cooks, temps equilibrate pretty quickly.  That's one of the great advantages of all that thermal mass!

Here's to a wonderful brisket cook this weekend!  Enjoy.

I'm a fan and promoter of Aaron Franklin's method for brisket. Once you get through the stall, around 165F - 170F internal, wrap in pink (uncoated) butcher paper until the IT reaches 205F. Pull from the grill, wrap in a towel, and let rest for 30 minutes, then slice.

I'm with Robert, burnt ends are Da Bomb, so that's a good use for the point after the flat is done. They separate easily at the end of the cook. Cut the point into large cubes, toss in some rub and/or sauce, into a nice open pan/baking sheet and back onto the smoker for another 30 minutes or so. Heaven!

Pictures, we expect to see pictures of the final result!

The beauty of Franklin's method is that the pink butcher paper has a much less effect on the bark than foiling, which results in steaming and softening the bark. I was a bit skeptical myself, until the first time I tried it and now I won't do a brisket (or beef roast) any other way.

• Like 1