tony b

Stuffed Pork Roast Fattie

So, I finally got to use the new rotisserie basket on a cook (more on that part later). Was inspired by ckreef's stuffed chicken, so I started out with the filling materials.

001.JPG

That's fresh sage and lemon thyme from my plants. I had an epiphany later after this picture was taken and tossed in some green peppercorns into the food processor. 

I bought a nice 6+ lb pork loin roast at CostCo, and cut it in half for this cook. Other half got FoodSaver bagged and frozen for another day.

002.JPG

Cut open the roast for the stuffing. 

003.JPG

Slather on the stuffing.

004.JPG

Next, the piece de resistance - the bacon weave.

005.JPG

Coat everything with "meat glue" (Transglutaminase) to hold it all together. And, viola!

006.JPG

Into the rotisserie basket.

009.JPG

Onto the KK, @ 350F indirect, with a couple of chunks of hickory.

011.JPG

Off the grill at an IT of 165F.

012.JPG

That shiny new basket ain't so shiny anymore! It's soaking as I type this in a bucket of PBW. 

Uncaged.

013.JPG

When I cut it open after about 15 minutes rest, the stuffing flowed out like lava! But, it was still damned tasty. No plating pics, as I had a dinner guest and I had dallied long enough with the pictures already.

014.JPG

OK, now for the not good part. The rotisserie basket started to come loose about 15 minutes into the cook. The square end bracket started to unthread, as my motor spins "backwards" (counter clockwise - towards you when viewed from the front of the grill.) So, I left the roast in basket and just placed it on the main grate. But, the lid wouldn't close, as it was too long! So, in oven mitts, I had to get a wrench and take off the square shaft. The lid then closed. The violent flopping the basket was doing when the shaft started to loosen, cause some of the bacon weave to come undone, so I had to scurry and stick pieces back on with toothpicks. Not a fun way to start a cook! 

Now, the dilemma - do I just use blue LocTite on the square shaft threads in hopes that it will hold under load, and live with the difficulties of having to unseal it if I want to use the lower connection on the basket; OR, do I ship the motor back to OneGrill and ask for one that spins in the "correct" direction?? (The other option of taking the motor apart and reversing the rotation is not very high on my list, unless someone here who's done it, says that it's a piece of cake - no specialized tools or soldering needed!) Looking for a little help here, folks! 

Edited by tony b
  • Like 1

I ordered from Brian at OneGrill yesterday - he said to me that if you need to reverse the direction, it is a matter of 3 simple screws... and also I quote him below:

"On a side note. I have had some people tell me they resolved the directional issue all together by placing a hole in the bung that accepts the drive rods in the baskets and running a screw through it. They have told me this works well and direction does not matter anymore and that it made the basket feel even more rigid when assembled. Another person has told me they simply placed a tack weld on the bung and rod to ensure it never comes loose and unthreads."

1 hour ago, MacKenzie said:

What can I say, Tony, not a great experience but I imagine the eats were still very good. :) Tinyfish, called One Grill when his arrived rotating the wrong way and as I recall they just talked him through it. I would try that option before gluing, but that's just me.

MacKenzie is right Tony. I called One Grill and they walked me through it. Very very simple, no soldering. It only took a few minutes.

• Like 1

Thanks, all! I'm going to call One Grill next week and see what it takes to reverse the rotation. That would be the best solution. I'll let ya'll know what I find out and if it's as easy as it sounds. The drilling tap holes with set screws and spot welding are definitely not going to happen!! 

10 hours ago, tony b said:

Thanks, all! I'm going to call One Grill next week and see what it takes to reverse the rotation. That would be the best solution. I'll let ya'll know what I find out and if it's as easy as it sounds. The drilling tap holes with set screws and spot welding are definitely not going to happen!! 

No worries Tony,  its very easy.

15 hours ago, cschaaf said:

Switch the pins around on the basket. That worked for me. It still turned the 'wrong' way for the motor pin, but I just used red locktite on that.

I don't think I can do that, since the spring plate side has a round hole and the motor side has the square hole - so I'd literally be trying to put a square peg in a round hole!

@tony b  No, take the pins off of the basket and switch sides that way. 

In other words, set the basket in front of you. If the round pin is on the left, take it off and move it to the right. I can't figure out why, but that worked for me. My pins would slowly unscrew until I did that. 

Edited by cschaaf

Thanks, All. 

Jon - Yes, I did use the regular drip pan. No interference with the rotisserie basket at all (for the short time it was running!)

Susan - I soaked the basket in a bucket of PBW (Powdered Brewers Wash - amp'ed up OxyClean) for several hours. Everything sponged right off. Looks almost new again. 

Called One Grill this morning and TAH-DAH, we have a motor that spins in the "correct" direction. It was pretty simple, actually. I am posting the instructions in the "Maintenance" thread for posterity. 

• Like 1