Shuley

Newest member to the family

I was struggling between the 22 and the 23 for about a week.  In fact, I couldn't sleep for several nights because I was just so excited and nervous about this.  I even started to think that the komodo kamado was not for me.  After all it is a lot of money for a grill.  Then I was driving home, when I started to notice all of the people who modify their trucks or buy luxury cars because they like it and it makes things just a little nicer for them.  Those things are important to some people the way cooking is important to me.  So then I no longer felt bad about wanting such a luxury item.  After much consideration and realizing the extremely slight advantages each grill would have would never probably actually be things I would use I decided that I could not go wrong I would end up equally happy with both grills.  They would be pretty much the same cost once I added the lower grate to the 22, so honestly I went with the 23 mainly because if I ever wanted advice there would be more people that would have my exact same grill.I know for 99 percent of cooks they would not be any different.  Something about the 23 just looked slightly more appealing to me.  I also decided to forgo the usual first step of a more tradition ceramic prior to the kk because I knew that was the one I really wanted, and that I would be back in this same position in another few years, I would still be longing for a kk.  And I will be keeping my akorn so I can have two different temps going.  Anyway as far as tile choice goes,someone said to go with whatever one you liked at first, and really the one I liked first was the plain black tile.  I kept second guessing it and looking at other ones ( my two sons were big fans of the cobalt blue) and I ended up going with the black tile because, like I said, it was the first one that really jumped out at me as very...appealing.  Anyhow, my 2 year old has kept building me “koko” kamados out of legos and that is what we have been affectionately refering to all komodo kamados.  I doubt I will name my kk but that might be a reference.  Anyway, I have been looking at the unpacking threads, because I am so excited.  Any tips?  Also, I am thinking about making the crate it comes in into a side table.  I just love that komodo kamado across the side and would want to use it for something.  Finally, I keep reading about the burn in process.  What exactly is that, and are there instructions included with my kk?  I don't want to mess up my new favorite toy!  Oh!  And how long did you guys have to wait for shipping confirmation?  My kk is in Carson.  I'm already antsy hahaha.

• Like 2

Shelly - what an absolutely wonderful post!  People just like you will see this post and will quickly relate to what you've so eloquentLy state above.  Kudos to you!

Now , as to the burn in info, you'll be getting the KK Owners Manual via email shortly.  The burn in information is found on page 18.  Essentially, you can do as many cooks below 350° as you want before the burn in.  To burn in, get your "Koko Kamado" to 350° for a couple of hours to get it heat soaked.  This slowly increase the temp to 500-550° and hold it there for 3 hours of so.  You'll smell the solvent in the elastomeric grout begging to vent.  Some spots may vent more solvents than others. A few spots may vent more solvent than others and a tile may lift slightly.  Simply push the tile down.  It's just that easy.

Welcome to you and your family to the KK family!

The burn in is simply getting the last bit of moisture in the elastomeric grout to vent. It's a simple process, nothing to worry about. Dennis should email some instructions that cover everything, including un rating, vent settings, and burn in. Don't worry, you're not on your own, plenty of support available.

Since your grill is in Carson, you should have it in about a week. That'll be an exciting day! Did you order any accessories, or cocochar? Let us know!

Again, congrats, you're gonna love it!!

Rob

So awesome.  You won't regret this decision to purchase a KK.  

The burn in is nothing at all don't even think twice about it we will get you through it. 

I didn't name my KKs either, however, I love them like my kids lol.  I refer to mine as the 23 and the 32. 

I too am very curious to know what accessories you went with.  

as for opening... Take your time there is tons of stuff and to say that Dennis over packs the KK for safety is an understatement.  I was so impressed with the packaging and everything was labeled.  

Congrats Congrats congrats! Lots of pictures please on arrival!

Very good choice !   You can't imagine how excited we are for you and your family.  Everytime you light up your KK you will marvel at it.  Funny your kid calls it koko kamado as I call my KK, KoKo.  All of your questions will be answered here on the Forum.

Excellent, glad you jumped aboard, you won't be sorry with the decision. I agree a lot of people put money into high end cars. I'm just a basic transportation kind of guy for cars but I love my KK's.

And don't worry you can't mess up a KK. Only one really messed up KK that we know about and that was extreme user abuse.

The burn in sounds scarey but it's really no big deal.

My first KK I didn't get any notification until it was an hour away from my house. My second KK I got an initial notification and then another one the day before delivery to setup the delivery time. Most transactions work like my second one.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Shelly - as ckreef says above, the burn in is a non issue.  Once you see your new 23, Koko Komado, you'll understand why you can't hurt it.  Your grandchildren will fight to see which one gets it in 60 years or more.  The KK is bombproof.  If I can't screw it up, neither can you.

Dont forget Project Smoke today, 11:00 AM, PBS.

Congratulations! You're going to be super happy with your new grill. 

If anyone could have messed up the burn in process, it would be me. I let Smaug get way too hot, and there was a bubble I didn't notice until months later. I poked a hole in the grout with a pin, some liquid vented out, and over time that area settled down. The process is really foolproof.

Edited by wilburpan
  • Like 1

Congratulations and welcome to Komodo-Kamado-ville Shuley!    Another 23" here.  Many of us went through the 'hand wringing' decision as you described before fully committing to make a KK purchase.   As everyone has stated (more or less :D):   Soon you will wonder how you did without your KK!    It is capable of any type of cooking process you want it to do; limited only by your imagination.   Soon your friends and relatives will think you're getting paid to sell Komodo-Kamados...haha!    You'll be bragging like a salesman!

Hope you also had Dennis include some CocoChar and CoffeeChar as, essentially, it gets a free hitch-hike on your 23's pallet.   

Curious:  What part of the world do you reside?

• Like 1

Hello Shuley welcome and congratulations, I am a newbie also, in fact my KK 32 is going to be delivered sometime next week, I have been on pins and needles for the past 2

weeks. I bet I have been to the website and forum over a hundred looking at pictures and reading all I could. I was on the fence but decided to "go for it" my excuse is its my

birthday present to myself lol. I decided to add all the extras I could. Just about everything except the propane burner. I am now looking to having Dennis build me a teak cabinet

we have discussed it over the phone. I really like this forum and will post pictures as I uncrate my Komodo. Looking forward to your pics and post in the future. I know you guys

said the burn was duck soup, but when I read that the tiles may come lose that scared me. I guess I'll cross that bridge when I come to it.

Quick question should I do the burn in before cooking anything?  Have a great weekend all.

• Like 2

You can cook anything 350° or under without any issue. For that matter, you can cook during the burn in, all venting is external. The reason some don't do this is because the attention should be on the grill, not whatever you're cooking. When you get closer to that time, read the instructions, post on the forum, or call Dennis. It's not a big deal, everybody has to do it.

Rob

• Like 1

Quick question should I do the burn in before cooking anything?  Have a great weekend all.

Cook as many times as you want at 350* or less before the burn in. You just need to do the burn in before you start doing high heat cooks. You can do a high heat cook while doing the burn in.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Welcome to the KK Family, to the both of you. You're in for an amazing ride!! 

Don't fret anything, as Dennis and the great folks on this Forum will answer any and all questions you might have, as we've all been there just like you! 

Don't forget those all important pictures of the uncrating and initial (aka virgin) cook. 

@Bruce Pearson - welcome to the KK family!  Good to have you join us.  Happy birthday to you.  

Seriously, don't sweat the burn in.  It's just easily done.  All you do is preheat your KK to 350° for a couple of hours and then slowly take your KK to 500-550° over about an hour and keep it there for 2-3 hours.  Just watch for the venting of some of the solvents.  I only had a very little venting on my 19" and none on my 32.  If a tile begins to rise, just push a straight pin into the elastomeric polymer and you're good to go.  Then just push the tile down.  See?  Nothing to It!  You'll do fine.  

Again, happy Birthday and we are glad to have you join us.