brett

Something seriously wrong with my 10yr old KK

On May 23, 2016 at 9:58 AM, Shuley said:

Does this mean my grill has shipped?????????  I am so excited, I've been hardly able to sleep. 

OTB = ???

Haven't yet run across anything to clue me in on the acronym...help please, for the NooB...

;-)

Just sausages today for this 4th, my last grilling prior to arrival of my 23" Terra Blue KK.  I don't yet know where I will place the KK?  It may be that when not in use I store it by the house where the old offset smoker sits to the left (not pictured) side of the house. We will see what my tolerance is for pushing the KK around from the house to the circle the is in essence the open side of my grill island area.  When working it will either be directly opposite the Lynx or sit in the spot of the covered 15+yr. old Weber performer.  The  Weber and offset smoker will be gifted to someone or an organization that can put them to use.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Edited by KevinD
Correct typos
  • Like 2

Hi. I'm looking into buying one of your grills. I live in MN and the KK would be exposed to the harsh cold during winter. Will the KK's life span be limited by such conditions? I would keep it covered, of course but it would be otherwise exposed to the elements. Would it be prone to cracking or fractures when heated in the winter as it cools down?

Thanks,

Mike

Hey Mike,  As long as you keep the KK covered when not in use it would be fine.  Water intrusion in a cold climate would be an issue with any grill/cooker (freeze/thaw damage).   It terms of cracking or fractures from heating or cooling in cold temps there it is not a problem.  I live in Upstate NY and use my KK's all winter.  Have not had a problem.  Actually the mass/heft of the KK compared to other ceramic cookers would protect it more from big/hot fires when it was cold.  The H.D. firebox design of the KK's is also another good feature compared to other ceramic cookers.  

One of the best features of the KK is the quality of construction.  Built like a tank.  Keep it covered and you will be fine.

Jon B.

• Like 1

:smt043

I grew up in the Southern part of the USA as a kid and then moved to CA after college, before being transferred here (IA), so trust me on this one, the climate transition was not an easy one for me! I remember the first time it hit 80F below Zero wind chill (the static temperature was a mere -35F) - my 2nd winter here; I thought I was going to die!! :cold: But, after 38 years here, I've almost acclimated!  :smt037

• Like 1