Shuley

Lighting question.

Unfortunately, asking about lighting does not mean my kk has arrived.  I am so Flippen excited.  My husband says to enjoy this time of anticipation hahaha.  Anyway, as I have been perusing people's kk cooks I have noticed a theme of lighting with a torch.  I have only ever tried that once, and usually use some alcohol soaked cotton balls to light my charcoal.  Does this method work with a kk and are there any negative repercussions for lighting in this way?  

I have my 230 dollar akorn so I was never too worried about messing it up, I just want to make sure that everything I am used to doing is alright.

Some types of alcohol, I don't know which, don't burn completely, giving a similar residue to lighter fluid. Avoid this entirely. Other that that, light any way you like. I use a torch on cocochar, and Rutland cubes on regular lump. The rutlands are pretty simple.

Rob

Started out as a chimney/newspaper guy, then the folks here convinced me to switch to the propane/MAPP torch. Like it much better for most cooks. Still use the chimney occasionally when I use the split basket. A chimney full of lit coals is a good jump start to a high temp sear for steaks, chops, etc.

Shelly - I use a MAPP Torch exclusively these days.  Right now I have a propane bottle in the Benzomatic.  You can tell because it's blue.  MAPP gas is in a yellow canister.

Here is a picture of my rig.  Notice that this rig has a 4-5 foot hose.  I like that because it makes lighting easier for me.

IMG_1188.jpg

I have also used cotton balls soaked in 91% isopropyl, starter cubes, cooking oil soaked paper towels, etc.  Anything that gets your KK lit EXCEPT FOR STARTER FLUID works.  Never use starter fluid!

I use a hot air gun or looftlighter to light only one small chunk of lump the size of a walnut shell.. Then I use a cheapo hairdrier that I use as a blower.. the fan on the hairdrier should be the size of a very large lemon. Charcoal lights at about 660ºf but with concentrated airflow from a blower/fan/hairdrier will glow madly and burn at over 1,800ºf which quickly ignites the charcoal in the immediate area which of course immediately glows madly and ignites the charcoal next to it and so on.. NOTHING short of a ridiculous weed burner with 10 million BTU's  will get you there faster..  If you are doing a reverse sear and want to get from 225º to 600º lickety split.. Hairdrier.. Don't use a good one the smoke goes in and does not ever go out.. Using a smoked drier gives your hair  a "special" forest fire smell..  LOL

PS I even clip the coils in the hairdrier so it blows only cold air.. no need to waste the electricity on heating it.. or in my case blowing out the fuse box..

• Like 2

Some folks will say I’m crazy, but I use a weed torch hooked up to a standard 20 lb. propane tank that gas grills use. The long handle lets me stand back so sparks don’t get to me, it lights the charcoal super fast (I’ll hit the charcoal for only 15-30 seconds when lighting for a hot direct cook), and the big tank pretty much ensures I only have to worry about replacing it once a year at most.

• Like 1

Hello Wilbur;

I like your style way over kill but fast. Think I'll look into that lol. I just went to the harbor freight web site and found the torch, hey doesn't look to bad. Anybody out there have a looft lighter? I went to Amazon and they have all different prices whats with that? oh well I don't even have my KK yet Its in San Jose someplace; just waiting for the call to schedule delivery. Looks like I will have my first cook outside my garage door. I'm going to have to take down my fence to get into my back yard. I live on a zero lot line house so no gate to back yard. Just think of all the looks and questions when I fire that baby up in my driveway. It would sure be nice if I get in time for Memorial day.

• Like 1

Hello Wilbur;

I like your style way over kill but fast. Think I'll look into that lol. I just went to the harbor freight web site and found the torch, hey doesn't look to bad. Anybody out there have a looft lighter? I went to Amazon and they have all different prices whats with that? oh well I don't even have my KK yet Its in San Jose someplace; just waiting for the call to schedule delivery. Looks like I will have my first cook outside my garage door. I'm going to have to take down my fence to get into my back yard. I live on a zero lot line house so no gate to back yard. Just think of all the looks and questions when I fire that baby up in my driveway. It would sure be nice if I get in time for Memorial day.

If it's at the final junction and your waiting for the delivery call I would give them a call to make sure you get delivery before the weekend. That's what I did and I got next day delivery. It can't hurt.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

@Shuley

No issues using the alcohol soaked cotton ball approach. Just make sure to use the high % alcohol so it burns cleaner.

I typically use the Rutlands. I cut them in half most of the time. I've tried a torch and a heat gun and they work fine, I just don't like standing there holding the things.

8 hours ago, ckreef said:

If it's at the final junction and your waiting for the delivery call I would give them a call to make sure you get delivery before the weekend. That's what I did and I got next day delivery. It can't hurt.

How do you know if it is at it`s final junction?  

How do you know if it is at it`s final junction?  

It usually gets to a local shipping terminal in the nearest big city where you live. Once it arrives there another shipping company that makes local deliveries will bring it to your house.

Once it's at that local terminal they will call you for a delivery appointment.

You should get a tracking number from Dennis that will help you sort it out and give you an idea who to call.

I got my butt chewed big time for using my former wife's hair drier to turbo charge the lighting of a couple of chimneys of briquettes.  She got a new hairdrier, I got a butt chewing, and the party was a success! :lol:

Divorce by hair dryer - LOL

CC you set new low standards - j/k buddy

• Like 1