Chicken Experiment

Thanks to Dstr8's method of cooking chicken, I cooked the most evenly cooked, juiciest chicken I've ever had, wife was very happy. So tonite, I'm merging methods.

1c ap flour, 1/2c corn starch, 1/2c Txbbqrub. I'm going to soak the grill at 500°, put the chicken on, close the vents, and go for 45 mins. We'll see!!

feeffe2dfa44e6695c48b76625b26dbc.jpg

Rob

• Like 2

Ok, thank goodness I said experiment! After 45 mins, the bird looked the same as when I put it on, no browning. It was a bit crispy, but little flavor, it would need twice the rub. The bird was beautifully cooked, but, no pics, I'm reserving the right to try again.

Rob

• Like 1

Interesting experiment. Next time maybe make sure the dome goes back to 500* then close the vents. (shouldn't take but a couple of minutes) Will be cheating the experiment a little bit but with the bird on and closing the vents immediately the bird probably didn't get any time at 500*

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Interesting experiment. Next time maybe make sure the dome goes back to 500* then close the vents. (shouldn't take but a couple of minutes) Will be cheating the experiment a little bit but with the bird on and closing the vents immediately the bird probably didn't get any time at 500*

I did that, and I also didn't close the top completely. I think tiny may have something, as the bottom of the bird looked ok. Next I'll put the bird on breast down, not sure whether I'll spatchcock or not.

Anybody have any suggestions as to flour/corn starch ratio?

Rob

Fine flours like cornflour are really difficult to brown without the help of either fat to help, or a very high temperature. When dry, they just... sit there. It's the same with using 00 for a pizza base - you have to go up to something like 650-700 dome in my experience to brown the cornicione rather than just the bottom, which benefits from the stone, obviously. Agree with @dstr8 - the Judy Rodgers bird is the way to go.

Have had similar experience with cornstarch dusted chicken - came out pale. So, I'd have to agree with the others. Another thought would be to spray some canola oil on the chicken just before you put it in the KK. Aren't cooking experiments fun (and frustrating at the same time!)?

• Like 1

Have had similar experience with cornstarch dusted chicken - came out pale. So, I'd have to agree with the others. Another thought would be to spray some canola oil on the chicken just before you put it in the KK. Aren't cooking experiments fun (and frustrating at the same time!)?

Every time I've done it I used 50/50 flour/cornstarch. I also sprayed it down with oil.

Never really happy with the results so I rarely do it anymore.

• Like 1

I'm in the "baking powder camp" now, myself. Rub the chicken thoroughly with salt and baking powder, rest overnight in the fridge, uncovered. Nice crispy skin when roasted. One thing though, back off the salt in your dry rub or you could end up with it being too salty at the end. 

• Like 1