Geo

KK moisture

Here's something that I never had happen on my green kamado... I'm cooking 6 racks of Baby Back Ribs on my KK this evening, to take to a family reunion tomorrow. The aroma of the cook is driving me crazy (Probably the neighbor's too!). I look over at the KK, and see moisture dripping off the top vent, and running down the outside of the dome!  The air inside the KK is so moist that the smoke coming out of the top vent is condensing, and forming drops that are big enough to run down the sides. Those are going to be some incredible ribs!image.jpegimage.jpeg

• Like 1

this was the first thing that I noticed when I upgraded.  I did ribs in December for my first low and slow, and when I opened the lid to srpitz I was hit in the face with steam lol.  The minimal airflow and the vacuum that is created keeps all of the good moisture inside where it should be.  I was shocked with the amount of liquid that dripped from the dampers.

• Like 1

Ribs are cooked and ready to go to the reunion. They turned out really moist and tasty. Hope the family likes 'em... This will be the weekend where we tell them that "Miss Jean" has agreed to become "Mrs. Geo"!

image.jpeg

• Like 1

@Geo - the ribs look wonderful!  I can see how juicy they look in the photo.  Nicely done!

Now, major congrats and kudos to you and Miss Jean on the pending nuptials!  This is great news!  This is simply wonderful and I wish you both every happiness life has to offer.  Double kudos on you for convincing Miss Jean to marry you!  Let me gues … it was  the KK and your BBQ  prowess  that  convinced her to say "Yes!" correct!? ;)

Thanks all. Yeppers... It didn't take long after I took delivery of the KK For Miss Jean to agree to marry me. Those KK's are really "Chick-magnets", and everybody knows that the ones with pebbles cook better! I've heard of marrying someone for their money, but this might be the first recorded instance of someone marrying for a KK!

• Like 1

Congratulations on the engagement... and the ribs!

2 hours ago, wilburpan said:

By the way, the moisture thing was the one of the first things I noticed about having a KK grill. I’ve seen demos of other ceramic grills, and never saw anything like that.

I haven't experienced it yet on the KK yet, but on the KJ, the top vent will get water puddling up in the slider portion and the bottom vent will drip water.

Congratulations on the engagement. One of my favorite sayings is "Show them how much you love them - cook them tasty food!" Looks like it worked again!!!

Super looking ribs, too. The family is going to "volunteer" you for all the cooking from now on. 

• Like 1

Just a quick update... We had the family reunion last weekend, and the ribs were gone in one setting... 6 racks! Miss Jean raised some hungry boys!

Also note that we've set a date for the change to "Mrs. Geo". July 16th. In the park across the street. I suppose that it would be nice if I fixed something for our guests on the KK. Anyone have ideas of what I could make ahead of time, and warm-up for after the ceremony?

• Like 1