ckreef

Grill Grates and My KK's

The prize for winning the Guru Italian challenge was a set of Grill Grates. Me and Brad (from Grill Grates) came up with a good configuration. They are sectional so they can fit my 16" main grate or any of my 19" grates. I won't post the full review I did but I really like this after market set of grates. Allows for direct heat grilling while keeping most of the drippings from going down into the KK. They also come with a kewl grate tool that allows you to get up under your food and lift it straight up to flip. (perfect system for whole fish cooks)

Anyway here are my initial cooks using the Grill Grates.

Really small leg quarters (it's what I had).

604eb3a7de8328262103507db4483376.jpg

91e51da4e41e2d59586ee137c799fe44.jpg

Burgers using the grate tool. The back 2 are feta burgers.

4f12dcf6437837fa1800bb71d43467b7.jpg

0ce55685dd1a40422fa108ba7f47a716.jpg

Whole fish. This system with the grate tool worked really well for flipping the fish without tearing up the skin.

44abffc53a62a9b7738a0d7212997b2b.jpg

62d748e635219178dbaab2afa2727459.jpg

Lastly a few chicken legs on the 16"

fba95dc56e97305b2664a1ced4610bdd.jpg

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

• Like 3

Those chicken legs look incredible, Charles. Looks like the Grill Grates are something I'll be purchasing. Thanks for posting pictures.

Definitely a kewl set of grates. They work exceptionally well for fish. Will definitely be my goto setup for fish and leg quarters.

Charles - beautiful pics of the Grill Grates in action!  Gorgeous chicken, fish, and burgers!  I was about to ask you if those Grill Grates were no being shipped to prize winners in a gold color when it dawned on me that you were just breaking them in and that the color would get considerably darker over time.  I hope you like your Grill Grates as much as I do mine.  Grill Grates and my ThermaPen are the BEST accessories to my KK equipment.  Well worth every cent and more.

Congrats and kudos on some very fine cooks!

• Like 1

Great write up there @ckreef. I have a set for my pellet smoker and i would not cook with out them on there. They are so versatile and do a great job over the naked fire i can get going in my pellet.

After looking at you using them on your KK, i think its time to get me a set for my KK as well. They are an awesome idea and you will get lots of use out of them.

They wont stay that colour for long mate :)

• Like 2

This seems like the logical place, so I'm going to jump in here.  I don't mean to hijack ckreef's wonderful thread, but ....

@DennisLinkletter - does Brad over at Grill Grates have the various grate sizes for the KK main grates?  I have an old set that fit my Primo XL and I use them on TheBeast, but I'd like to get some GrillGrates custom cut that fit TheBeast.  

Now, back to our regularly scheduled admiration of ckreef's crazy good chicken cook!  Really nice cook, Charles!  Kudos.

does Brad over at Grill Grates have the various grate sizes for the KK main grates?

I talked to Brad for a while on two different phone calls ....... The simple answer is ...... No he doesn't have the grate sizes.

But for me the main grate size is irrelevant. He needs to know the Sear grate sizes. If it fits on the Sear grate it fits everywhere else.

Since Grill Grates come in sections it only took me and Brad a minute or two to figure what pieces would make the correct size. I'm sure that would be true at least up to the 23".

Of course it might be a little different for the 32" or 42".

• Like 1

I like the way you can just use one if you want to

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk

That is nice it allowed me configure them for my 19" and can reconfigure them to work on the 16.5". The only drawback is they can slide around on each other. Brad at Grill Grates did mention that they were trying to come up with some type of clip but haven't tested a design they really like.

Reef's Bistro

• Like 1

That is nice it allowed me configure them for my 19" and can reconfigure them to work on the 16.5". The only drawback is they can slide around on each other. Brad at Grill Grates did mention that they were trying to come up with some type of clip but haven't tested a design they really like.

Reef's Bistro

Yeah that is the only poblem I see with them .clips would be good can you put them on a lower great so they are a bit more snug to the sides and adjust the temp that's what I do on the Joe have no idea with a kk

Yeah that is the only poblem I see with them .clips would be good can you put them on a lower great so they are a bit more snug to the sides and adjust the temp that's what I do on the Joe have no idea with a kk

I actually had them configured for my 19" lower sear grate. In that position they are a tighter fit. A loose fit when I use them in other positions.

Reef's Bistro

22 hours ago, Sean M said:

hey @ckreef...do you recall the grillgrate sizing for your seer grate on your 19TT?

Thanks!

Sean

Off hand I don't remember, I would have to measure them. It was 2 end panels and a middle panel just can't remember the length. 

One day I'm going to buy a new bigger set. Have them welded into 2 pieces and cut to fit without having to have the grate installed.