DennisLinkletter

We need a complete FAQ

I'll start; How to light your grill and get it ready for low n slow, grilling, or baking pizza.

For example, after lighting a few coals using whatever method suits you, do you shut the lid right away, or leave it open for a few minutes? How many turns on the top hat? How should the draft door be set? How long do you let it rip before closing things down? Is it time or temperature based? When do you add the smoking wood?

I have lit my grill around 30 times since last October (when I took delivery) and have not been satisfied with my technique. It seems to take at least a full hour or more to get clean smoke and 240 F. I'm convinced it's just me, and would like some advice on how to speed up the process and reduce the tinkering. I'm clearly over complicating this basic task. 

1 hour ago, egmiii said:

I'll start; How to light your grill and get it ready for low n slow, grilling, or baking pizza.

For example, after lighting a few coals using whatever method suits you, do you shut the lid right away, or leave it open for a few minutes? How many turns on the top hat? How should the draft door be set? How long do you let it rip before closing things down? Is it time or temperature based? When do you add the smoking wood?

I have lit my grill around 30 times since last October (when I took delivery) and have not been satisfied with my technique. It seems to take at least a full hour or more to get clean smoke and 240 F. I'm convinced it's just me, and would like some advice on how to speed up the process and reduce the tinkering. I'm clearly over complicating this basic task. 

For the size of your KK, I don't think an hour is too far off the mark.  If you light a huge spot or multiple spots for a low and slow, just so you can ramp up to temp, you risk overshooting your desired cook temp and waiting a lot longer for it to come back down...  I understand where you are coming from though...  What I do is light a tennis ball sized spot in the middle of a full basket, open top and bottom vents wide open for 30 mins (dome temp may read higher than your desired cook temp, but it is not yet heat soaked to this temp, it will be lower).  After that 30 minute 'get er' going' time, I dial the vents down to where I know they need to be for the duration of my cook.  After another 30 minutes, I go back and double check, but almost always at that stage, I'm heat soaked to the desired cook temp and can walk away.  I ALWAYS set the alarm on my phone for that initial 30 minute ramp up.  If you forget to go back and dial it down, you may end up cooking pizzas instead.

Your KK is a heavy duty mass, it takes time to heat soak, no way around it.  I've often thought that one way to make the process a little more efficient would be to use the gas burner to warm up (ie heat sink) the KK, then put in the charcoal and light it post heat sink.  Never tried that though and figure it may only save 15-20 minutes.  If I'm doing low and slow I assume 1-1.5 hrs till I'm at a rock solid temp that won't move (for days).

Just my two pennies, don't think you are necessarily doing anything wrong.

Dennis, 10 Ideas:

1.  How much lump / charcoal should I put in the basket?

2.  What are the two different latch positions, and which one should I use?

3.  There is black gunk inside the dome of my KK, how do I clean it?

4.  Ever since purchasing my KK, my friends have 'bbq envy,' Is there a number they can call for emotional support?

5.  Is the KK too heavy for my wooden deck?

6.  My lid won't stay open, how do I adjust the spring?

7.  What do I use to clean the outside of my KK?

8.  How do I move my new KK across grass to get it to where it needs to be in my outdoor space?

9.  How do I install the roti itself, meat on the roti, etc.?

10.  I forgot to close the vents after a low and slow, my cooker is still going 3 days later, do you think someone snuck in and added charcoal in the middle of the night?

• Like 2

I think this is a BIG undertaking that'll eat up time in a big hurry.  I'm doing something like this over at The Pit, the AmazingRibs.com forum.  Those guys simply don't have a clue about cooking on a kamado and it's a huge commitment.  Done right, there would be annotated pics and that takes time as well.  

Dennis, have you thought of enlisting some help?  I think I have a fairly good understanding of the KK design philosophy and I could help out on the FAQs on a semi-occasional basis.  You could then edit to your heart's content.  Editing is easier, in my opinion, than original writing.  Think about it.

Some other topics that might warrant consideration are:

1) Basket Splitters - theory and practice.

2) Features & Benefits - square cut threads on the top vent, air flow and controlling air in the KK, the air control manifold/ lower vent

3) Burning In the new KK - seems as if every new user/owner has that question

4) Grate configuration and their use(s)

5) Rotisserie assembly, securing cooks in the rotisserie, and building a rotisserie fire for best results.

Im sure there will be a plethora of topics and that can be overwhelming.  BUT, the good news is that this will be an evolving section and won't have to be done all at once.

How do pygmies eat elephants?  One bite at a time!

It might also be helpful to know the intended audience for this FAQ. Is this a top 10 list for new visitors to KomodoKamado.com, who have never used a kamado before? Or is this for new owners who could use some help on the first few cooks. A new owner FAQ would likely be too large for a casual visitor to digest.

• Like 1

A complete "what comes with" each model, the table on the store site is a good start, but folks seem to overlook it and the question pops up every six months or so. I would also include what is in the spares kit, mention the ramp to get the KK off the pallet, crowbar, lifting ropes and the KK info itself. Don't take anything for granted, you have put time, effort and cost into it, the more details you give, the better folks can understand the value sight unseen.

Also  a good comparison between the high cap design vs the standard, why would one choose one over the other.

Another question that seems to come up is which size is the right one. Subjective I know, but maybe in addition to grill size, a more visual representation. Create a brisket/chicken/pork butt scale.  Something like (Using made up numbers) the main grill on a 23 can hold three 12lb packer cut brisket or eight 8 lb pork butts or fifteen boneless chicken breasts or twenty 5 oz burgers. Something that the more visual learners can more easily identify and recognize the volume. Possibly a turkey and sides scale for the holiday sales!

Now, if I can just figure out how to get Dennis to send me one KK in each size and then fund the purchasing of the test proteins, probably should throw a pallet of each type of charcoal so that once the tests are complete the proteins don't go to waste.

Edited by bgrant3406
  • Like 1

@Cookie Love FAQ #4. 

I really like Cookie's entire post.

Most FAQ's are written to address potential buyers more so than someone who already made the purchase. The questions that are answered should be with that thought in mind.

To ask and answer the most important after purchase question .........

My KK just arrived, what now?

Please visit the Komodo Kamado forum at (link inserted here). A great group of owners that will help you with any and all questions you might have.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Isnt a faq facts about the kk in general 

Such as what comes standard with the kk and what other options which are extra come with the grill 

The rest would be instructional 

I like faqs that are short that i can browse through quickly not long just my opinion 

But i do like the info above just not in a faq 

Example faqs are the question and ans

What grill grates come standard with each kk??

Ans 

All kks come standard with 3/8 stainless grill grates 

Just an example and again my opinion i think the question and ans is way to go and keep it short and sweet

The break in instructions and owner's manual is automatically sent out when the grill's ship..
I'm sure many don't read them carefully because so many people called and said their grills leak and it's always they were not latching it tight..  We're now putting a label on the latch that informs owners that there are two positions in the latch.  LOL

• Like 1

For so many years it was a work in progress and there where were always so many updates but today we definitely have information that could be printed.
The crates have small notes that point out the bolts on the bottom of each post, the ramp on top of the grill and where the crow bar is inside the crate from the outside.

@DennisLinkletter - Am I the only one here who took one look at the crates my KKs were delivered in and didn't immediately know how to get the KK out of the box?  Isn't that pretty self-evident to the most casual observer?  

After all, it seems to me that your basic customer has an IQ a good little bit above normal.  I may be way off base and I've never had to field phone calls like you, but ...?  After all, one of the very fundamental things I truly value is that this Forum is a "Stupid Free Zone"!   Seriously, there are some really stupid questions posted at many of the forums I visit by people who obviously have a room temperature IQ!  

I'd see the FAQ section as an evolving and organic section.  There are of course some very basics.  Over time, the recurring questions you/we see will help guide the establishment of the FAQ section.  I personally believe that you've gone above and beyond in every area for the new KK Owner.  Maybe I'm different from the norm, but I seriously doubt it.  I've always thought, like @5698k  above, that an easy to find online version of the Owners' Manual would be a valuable resource.  

Dennis, I think you're doing one helluva great job.  Anything I can do to help you is a pleasure for me to do.  Just call. Anytime.  You have my number!

Dennis, I'm with you!! It's just how many times do we read someone having difficulty, see pics of a dis mantled crate, or have someone ask how to get it off the pallet. I'm just thinking out loud here. I guess it's the oil in the car engine thing.

Rob

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, 5698k said:

Dennis, I'm with you!! It's just how many times do we read someone having difficulty, see pics of a dis mantled crate, or have someone ask how to get it off the pallet. I'm just thinking out loud here. I guess it's the oil in the car engine thing.

Rob

I think if we see an issue 2-3 times it indicates some folks may need a little help.