DennisLinkletter

Farmer John Ribs in Bali ;-)

So I'm digging thru the medium-size dog pork ribs in my corner market's freezer and on the very bottom of the stack I find this frozen bag that is 3-5X larger then all the rest of them.. Flip it over and iFarmer John brand.. A first in Bali.  They were twice as expensive (no problem) and the use or freeze by date was 6 months ago.  I'm thrilled..
Then I read "Minimally Processed" not happy about any processing.. I'm guessing they are probably brined with some undesirable mystery saline solution. " No Artificial Ingredients" There are lots naturally occurring ingredients I don't want to eat.  
But they are so much bigger than what is on the market...  The locals basically fry everything so they want very small, more tender pig meat. 

FJ-Ribs.jpeg

Serving size 4oz  LOL  on what planet?

FJ-Ribs2.jpeg

I hope they froze these bad boys 6 months ago..

FJ-Ribs3.jpeg

Rp 182,000 @ Rp 13,400 is $13.58 per kilo or $6.18 Lb
4.728 kilos is 10.4 lbs or 5.2 lbs each but the ribs are very much un-trimmed.
These bad boys are exactly twice what I buy the lil' ones for.. 
I'll happily buy them all day long.

FJ-Ribs4.jpeg

• Like 1

@DennisLinkletter - Nice, very nice!  Those spares should make  some kind of wonderful St. Louis cut ribs.  Should be a nice reminder of Cali Beech Cookouts.  

Can you do us favor when you cook them?  Cook a regular rack of ribs you get in Indo and give us an idea of the size differential, would ya please?  I'm sure we'd all like to understand the abuse you live with daily so we can have the best cookers in the world! ;)

I use a really nice rub from a BBQ place that has been in business here in Ft. Worth for more than 50 years. The name of the place in Angelo's. It used to be REALLY good -- the best really. Lately, not so much, and that for another story. What I was going to say was that their rub is killer, but several years ago, I made a batch of ribs with it and they were SALTY. I finally read the ribs package a little closer and noticed that they were packaged in saline. Furthermore I came to realize that ALL of the ribs sold in these vacuum packs are now packaged in saline so I then determined I could no longer use my favorite rub! I've since come up with a good recipe to use on ribs (which I still had to reduce the amount of salt it calls for!), but still lament that I cannot use my favorite rub on the 'regular' ribs. Fortunately, the 'chicken and pork' rub still works on chicken, and the beef rub still works very well on the beef! Too much salt is too much salt! It is what it is!