Jeff S

Suggestions for the wood mix for first brisket cook

@Jeff S - okay, congrats on the burn in.  Now you're good to go!  

I was raised in Oklahoma and Texas..  Down here we generally use Oak, Hickory, and Mesquite on our briskets.  And we generally just use one smoke wood rather than a mixture.  I prefer Oak to anything else, then Hickory, and finally Mesquite.  As was mentioned above, if you do use Mesquite, please do so judiciously as it has a very strong flavor.

Heres to a great first cook and even better memories with family, friends, and your new KK.  

Remember, we want pictures!   

This may be a minority opinion, but if this is your first brisket, I’m going to suggest that you skip the smoking wood to start. Just make a 50/50 salt and pepper rub, and smoke away. Once you’re sure you have a good handle on brisket cooks, then start adding in smoking wood.

The reason is that brisket seems to be one of the trickier cooks to do. If things don’t turn out the way that you want, you want to be able to identify what might have gone wrong. By not using a smoking wood this time, you take the choice of smoking wood out of the picture. If you’re worried that you won’t get that smokiness, unless you’re using Dennis’ coconut charcoal, whatever charcoal you’re using will add enough smoke flavor on its own.

• Like 1