MacKenzie

Rhubarb Pie on Pebbles

The rhubarb in my garden is perfect for a pie right now so-

made the filling, sugar, flour, salt, egg and rhubarb.

Rhubarb Pie Filling.jpg

Now for the crust, the bottom is easy-

Bottom Crust.jpg

Pour the filling in-

Filling in the Shell.jpg

Now for the hard part, the lattice top. 

Pie Ready for Baking.jpg

Add the edge protector-

Pie Edge Covered.jpg

Put it on the KK @ 425F for 50 - 60 mins.

Pie on the Grill.jpg

Baked.

Juicy Pie.jpg

Slice removed and look at that juice.

Cut Pie.jpg

A slice (if you can call it that) of warm rhubarb pie.

Slice of Pie.jpg

Edited by MacKenzie
  • Like 1

That does it I have to go out and get some pie. Looks great and bet it tastes better. I think after reading the forum for the past week or so I bet not too many KK owners use they're ovens anymore. I for one haven't used my oven since i moved into this house 27 years ago, and not because i use my grill. I have just been eating out every meal, pretty pathetic huh? but that is all about to change now that I have my BB32. I'm building an outdoor kitchen on my patio. Happy grilling everybody. And GOD bless AMERICA!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bruce Pearson said:

That does it I have to go out and get some pie. Looks great and bet it tastes better. I think after reading the forum for the past week or so I bet not too many KK owners use they're ovens anymore. I for one haven't used my oven since i moved into this house 27 years ago, and not because i use my grill. I have just been eating out every meal, pretty pathetic huh? but that is all about to change now that I have my BB32. I'm building an outdoor kitchen on my patio. Happy grilling everybody. And GOD bless AMERICA!!

@Bruce Pearson - my Friend, I bought a high dollar convection oven when I moved into my new home about 2 years ago.  I haven't used it but a handful of times.  TheBeast, my BB 32, handles everything.  My KKs are the world's best convection ovens.  Bar none.  Be well and YES!  God bless America! 

@MacKenzie - great looking pie. Now that you know how to lattice pie crust, you know how to weave the bacon blanket for a fattie!

@Bruce Pearson - when I remodeled my kitchen about 8 years ago, I did not put in a conventional oven, as I rarely used the old one. The KK gets all the big stuff and small stuff works great in the counter-top convection oven (brick lined Cuisinart). 

As luck would have it, our first (off-brand) ceramic cooker arrived a dozen years ago, just as our indoor oven went on the fritz. Using extruded coconut charcoal, there was hardly a hint of smoke in this strawberry rhubarb pie.

My true childhood favorite is sour cherry pie (we had a tree), but strawberry rhubarb is a close second.

strawberry-rhubarb.jpg

Edited by Syzygies
  • Like 2

As a boy growing up I remember my dear Mom making strawberry-rhubarb pie that was to die for.  She grew her own rhubarb in her garden.  How my Mom raised 5 kids, managed a house, drove us everywhere for sports, etc. I will never know.  We always had tasty treats after school like her pies, cobblers, cakes, cookies, I'll never know.  

@Syzygies - that's a very tasty looking pie on the KK.  Kudos to ya!

OMG, MacK! Rhubarb pie is my son's absolute favorite. He can't eat strawberries, but I make/purchase a rhubarb pie every year for his birthday. Just made one last month! Didn't try it on the KK, but now that I've seen your incredible pictures, I've gotta try it. Would you mind sharing the recipe for the ingredients you used? I've gotta send your pictures to him. He'll be salivating at work!!!

Thanks, Geo. :) This is my Mum's recipe and the same one that I use.

The filling:

4C rhubarb

1.5C white sugar

3T flour

1 egg

Pinch of salt

Mix all ingredients together and pour into a pastry shell. Cover with lattice and bake at 450F for 40 mins or until cooked, nicely browned.

* I used a lower temp so mine took almost 60 mins. to cook.

• Like 1

Thanks so much for the recipe, MacK. Dan will be beside himself when he gets the pie. He might even share a slice with me. Will post pictures, but probably won't look as lovely as yours. You're the greatest!!!

That's just insane MacK!   Rhonda made rhubarb crisp a couple weeks ago.  And now your wonderful looking rhubarb pie gets my mouth o'watering!

Grew up eating rhubarb pie...and also another midwest/upper midwest farm favorite:  Gooseberry.   On occasion my Mom would mix rhubarb and gooseberry together for a wonderfully different pie.