Shuley

Unpacking

Since I drooled over these for months I figure the least I could do was lost my experience.  
I want to start off by saying that I thought anyone who would drop this kind of cash on a “grill” had to be a little bit insane.  I purchased an akorn in August and heck I thought anyone who bought a “regular” ceramic cooker was insane.  Keep in mind I thought this having the expectation of using it about once a month when I wanted some real bbq.  I knew a kamado was supposed to be more versatile than that, but I was perfectly happy with my oven and gas grill.  Pretty quickly I became obsessed and found pretty much anything I could make was better on the kamado.  (well I haven't tried pasta/sauce yet)  I kept using it more and more.  Anyway, my husband says this much money is way too much for a grill but not too much for a gift for his wife.  After debating size and tile with myself for about a week I picked and hubby placed the order (he wanted credit lol!)  all of my interactions with Dennis linkletter were overwhelmingly positive.  What they say is right, he doesn't push the sale at all.  Anyway, the shipping company was unwilling to make an accomodation after 3 pm.  Luckily, my awesome mom was willing to go to my house to sign for it.    On Friday at about 1 I got “the call.”  and the driver was very pleasant on the phone!  So I called my mom and she headed to my house to sign for it.  She said that the delivery guy was awesome!!  He even got the crate by the side of my house.  I couldn't believe it, it was such a tight squeeze![attachment=42748:20160527_161619.jpg] mad props to the gentleman who got it safely in here!!  I also had to call Dennis (who answered at something like 4 am his time! I couldn't believe that either!)  because my mom didn't see the “1 box” inside the crate.[attachment=42749:20160527_165113.jpg]  when I got home, I have my kiddos a snack and got to working on uncrating.  Getting the crate off was super easy!  I was so happy and thought I was off to a smooth start.  Well then things got tricky.  I think the bottom portion of the pallet must have gotten moist or something.  [attachment=42750:20160527_165343.jpg] After I got the plastic wrap off of it you are supposed to pry the pieces of wood off the pallet.[attachment=42751:20160527_165803.jpg]  when I went to pry the pieces off the pallet would bend before the pieces of wood.  Even if I took the top piece off first.  I have no idea how to resolve that issue.  So , once it came time to move the komodo over the box between the legs, the wheels actually sank into the pallet.  I did not get a good picture of this and then once we got it onto the ramp, the ramp also broke (it couldn't handle just the front end being on there)  I'm not really sure how I could have gone about avoiding this, I have a feeling I did something wrong.  My dad came over and between me, my husband,and my dad, we were able to lift it up and remove the pallet and then angle it back to remove the rampb8b932312aaadff27e0605ab53219b32.jpg  I breathed a huge sigh of relief once it was on its wheels on the ground!  And dang this thing is gorgeous.  You know how everyone says pictures don't do them justice?  Well I kinda brushed that off until it was right in front of me.  It is just beautiful.  97c5b3c02bcb0701b3260b307cef3dbb.jpg  then it was time for unloading.  [attachment=42753:20160527_184611.jpg]all the grates, heat deflector, drip pan, charcoal basket, spare parts.   At this point I took a picture because I noticed a little “flakiness” inside of the firebox and since I am new to ceramic I wanted to ask Dennis to make sure it was fine.[attachment=42754:20160527_190036.jpg]  he let me know that this is perfectly normal and part of the process to make it look better after they cast the pieces.  I just thought I'd post a picture so anyone else who orders one of these beauties knows not to worry.  Plus he gave me super awesome directions for how to set it low and slow which worked absolutely perfectly btw.  Then I moved my kk next to its new best friend[attachment=42755:20160528_074153.jpg]check out all this space!!!
242461896152347f00bbb9b5fa74e18e.jpg

Shelley - I"m really liking what I'm seeing!  That is one seriously gorgeous 23 Ultimate!  I could not be happier for you, your husband, and the family.  You're going to love KoKo as I've taken to calling your KK.

Now hurry up and get that 23 Ultimate lit up and getting dirty!

Great story. I bet you were much more stressed than you needed to be. That's sort of the way it goes when you spend that much money on a grill. In the end it looks like it all worked out perfectly. Happy cooking.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

awesome and congrats.  I can't wait until your post that says, why does everything seem to taste better?  You will say I haven't changed the way that I cook, yet everything is juicier and has better flavour.  

When you post that here we will all say that is the difference, better airflow is the key in this design keeping more moisture and allowing for a cleaner burn.  Less creosote and more wood profile.

You post this on another forum, and everyone will tell you that it is not the grill its the cook evolving and that money doesn't make things taste better.  I was a critic... until I got my KK.  Now I know the KK difference!

Welcome to the family 

• Like 1

@bosco - AMEN!  

bosco - you preach heresy!  Yeah, right!  

Cookers do indeed make all the difference in the world.  The KK cookers are so cook friendly that you don't have to do all the niggling little things you used to have to do to get things done right.  Because you don't have to do those little niggling details, you now have time to do what you wanted to do all along, whether its running errands or really tending to the details of the cooks that make those cooks superior to anything you've done before!  

I always ask the following question and all I get are blank stares as if I'm 24 carat stupid:  If the cooker doesn't matter, why doesn't everyone buy an Akorn?

4 hours ago, bosco said:

awesome and congrats.  I can't wait until your post that says, why does everything seem to taste better?  You will say I haven't changed the way that I cook, yet everything is juicier and has better flavour.  

When you post that here we will all say that is the difference, better airflow is the key in this design keeping more moisture and allowing for a cleaner burn.  Less creosote and more wood profile.

You post this on another forum, and everyone will tell you that it is not the grill its the cook evolving and that money doesn't make things taste better. 

Wait — I thought I was a BBQ genius, because everyone kept telling me that even though I was getting excellent results from my low and slow cooks without having had any low and slow BBQ experience, the grill had nothing to do with it. Now I am sad. (Not really!) ^_^ 

Edited by wilburpan
  • Like 1