Jeff S

Advise to first time KK buyers

I am a new KK owner, the one thing I would do differently knowing what I know now is to order several boxes of Dennis' lump charcoal with the grill.  it turns out you can't order individual boxes you need to buy a pallet at a time, but you can order boxes with your initial order because of shippimg costs

• Like 1

Jeff, 

Welcome I think I missed your post on what grill you settled in with.  

I hope that you find someone in the Atlanta area that is willing to split.  I live up in Canada and it is complicated to get it here so I don't try.  I have a box that I am afraid to use because I know that I will love it.

Like Robert said, the folks on the Forum try and steer new buyers into loading up the crate with coco and coffee charcoal. For my 23" KK, I think the limit was like 15 boxes, which is a lot if you use it judiciously. You can buy individual boxes on Amazon, but the cost is a bit pricey ($45 for a 20# box), but it is Prime eligible.

Hi guys, this is a noobish question from a soon-to-be BB 32" buyer regarding the charcoal - I probably do longer cooks in the range of 2-3 times a month in the Summer / early Fall and 1-2 times (max) in the winter.  So figure 24-30 long cooks a year.  My question is how much coco charcoal are you burning through per long cook (let's a say a 12 lb packer brisket) of the 20 lbs in each box?  Just trying to do some math here.  Also is there a major difference between coffee and coconut? 

Thanks all, appreciate the advice!

I had heard rumblings of infused coco char, and if this is the case, it's all the same burn wise. If you're talking coco char vs coffee lump, the coco char is much more dense, so a load of coco will last much longer than a load of regular lump.

As to your first question, at one time, a user loaded a 23 with coco, and it went over 80 hrs at 235°. I haven't had that kind of burn, I I think you could do half that time effortlessly. A 32 will take a bit more time to heat, and you can put more cold protein on at any one time, but the overall burn should be similar.

Rob

• Like 1

You can add as many boxes of charcoal to a grill order without changing the delivery significantly. They are already picking up and delivering  hundreds of lbs with the grill.  All charcoal burns the same time "by weight". The coco char only appears to burn longer because you can put more of it in the basket because it's more dense.  

A 23" basket can hold 16 lbs of coco char,  at 235º it will definitely burn 80-85 hours.  The 32 would hold more charcoal, about 30 lbs giving you about 120 hours.  I'll do a full 32 burn this  weekend. 

• Like 2