Jon B.

Mac the 19" TT Comes Home (picture heavy)

First a little explanation...........for the last ten years I have lived on a boat in the summer time, on a small lake north of Syracuse that is part of the Erie Canal system.  You can reach Lake Ontario, Lake Erie and the Hudson River from our lake.   I do most of my cooking during the summertime at the marina.   When I bought the KK last fall, I moved it to my friend Sue's house for the winter.  Yesterday was the big moving day to take Mac to the marina.

I built a cart to hold the grill so i could cook on it this winter.  I put some small caster wheels on it, so that it could be wheeled in and out of the garage.  That set up worked great. 

DSCF7337.JPG 

So now it is spring and it is time to think about the logistics of how I'm actually going to move the KK to it's summer home.  I come up this plan to change the small caster wheels to big honking pneumatic off road tires.  With these tires I will be able to roll the grill & cart up the landscaping trailer ramp and then back down and across the grass at the marina.  I purchase them and mount the new tires on the cart.   

Grill3.jpeg

Yesterday being moving day..................I strap the grill to the dolly, line it up with the landscaping trailer ramp, give the caster dolly tire a kick to  straighten it out and I hear air escaping from the tire I just kicked.  Mister coordination somehow managed to kick and break the valve stem on the tire. WTH?????????

OK....now I have a flat tire.  Time for plan B!!!!!!      I drop the trailer ramp, line up the listing grill with the surface of the trailer and push the KK off the dolly onto the trailer.

Grill4.jpeg

Get it to the middle of the trailer and strap the heck out of it.

Grill7.jpeg

With the grill secured to my liking, I take off for the 15 mile trip with a stop at Tractor Supply to buy a new caster tire for the dolly.  

Grill6.jpeg

I luck out and they have the matching tire, so I complete the drive to the marina.  I switch the flat tire with the new tire and reverse the process of off loading the grill on to the dolly.  The off-loading goes without a hitch and the grill & dolly travel the 40 feet to the grill tent without a problem (two people will be much better next time around).  Push the unit up a little ramp onto the pallet platform and get the KK in place. 

Grill1.jpeg

I mount the dolly on blocks to get the weight off the tires and level the grill.  Plan to build a skirt around the bottom to keep the sun off and make it look finished.Grill9.jpeg 

I bought some plastic seats with storage to hold the grill accessories and they fit perfectly under the side tables.  Will even open with out hitting the tables.  

Grill15.jpeg

My anti-theft cover.................disguising the KK as a Char-Broil :smt023

Grill18.jpeg

The grill tent overview.

Grill16.jpeg

And....................... Finally,  Mac's view at her new home.Grill10.jpeg 

First cook is Wednesday night........baking some bread and smoking some beef ribs.   Looking forward to a great BBQ summer!!!!!

Thanks for taking the time to look!!!

Edited by Jon B.
  • Like 2