Izzy

Through serendipity, I stumbled into the KK 32

I'm happy to report that my wife came home yesterday afternoon.  While my in-laws were helping out, I fired up the KK 32 to grill some vegetables and then later, some chicken legs.  I emptied almost an entire box of coffee charcoal into the firebox and lit things up with 6 fire starter cubes.  While I was preparing the vegetables inside the kitchen and chatting with my sister in-law, the grill temperature managed to rise to well over a thousand.  When I went outside, I saw bubbles coming through the grout and the tiles were extremely hot.  The grill must have been at that temperature for an hour.  Then, it took a while for it to get to 700 after I closed some of the vents.  I'd say it took one over an hour.  It then took another hour to get to 650.  It had been almost four hours and the grill temperature was still over 600 degrees.  By that time, it had gotten dark and it was getting late and so, I threw all the vegetables in two aluminum pans and stuck them on the grill which was still at 600.  I also decided to wrap some sweet potatoes and corn on the cob in foil paper and threw them on the grill.  About 25-30 minutes later, I removed the vegetables.  I waited 30 more minutes for the temperature to approach 400 degrees and then I threw the chicken legs on the grill.  A few minutes minutes later a severe thunderstorm / tornado hit the area.  It was so bad that I could not go outside for almost an hour.  When I went to check on the chicken legs, I was surprised that they had not burnt.  The temperature was still 400.  They were not quite done.  I went back inside and then 20 minutes later, another storm hit the area.  This time, I dashed out and to remove everything from the grill.  The chicken turned out OK, but a little dry.  The sweet potatoes and corn were overcooked.  From now on, I'll start paying attention to the weather before I fire up the grill.

• Like 1

Great news that your wife is home . I really never thought about the ratio but Dennis said if you had 1000 dome temp then in the firebox is well over 1600 prob closer to 2000 that is one hot grill glad you got it under control yes you need to watch those temps 

Glad to hear your wife is back home.

More important than paying attention to the weather is paying attention to the KK. These things can get out of hand quick. I quit paying attention one time. My thermometer went all the way around the face and back up to 200. It was screaming hot. Not really good for your KK.

Make sure you do a good inspection on the inside especially around the surface where the gasket sits. If there are any issues don't panic call Dennis. (he got a panic phone call from me - LOL)

On the bright side you're probably done with the venting burn in process.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

@Izzy - I'm glad your runaway KK BB didn't go all the nuclear.  This is a lesson that is usually learned the hard way and then never repeated.  

I think part of the problem is that you used 6 fire starter cubes to initiate your fire.  In my experience that is way too many.  I've never really had a problem using 3, at the most.  Using 6 lights a tremendous amount of lump at once and if you forget your KK, well, you know the result.  Try using 1 fire starter for temps between 150-300, 2 cubes for temps between 300-450, and 3 cubes for temps 450+.  You'll find that the airflow in your KK BB is so efficient that less turns out to be more.

Living in Oklahoma, I know all about severe weather this time of year.  I'm glad all turned out with the weather, the chicken, and the runaway KK BB!

Glad that your wife is doing well and now home.

Second CC's advice on the starter cubes. You had a raging inferno going in there. Many of us (me included) have done that while learning the vent settings on our grills. 

Another thing - you will probably need to re-calibrate your thermometer, as you over-ranged it. There is a nut on the back, loosen it slightly, then stick the probe into a pot of boiling water, carefully turn the dial while holding the probe shaft until the dial reads 212F/100C, then re-tighten the nut. FYI - I live in Iowa (yeah we get big storms/tornadoes here, too), but just as important, our winters get below zero, so I never leave my thermometer in my KK during the colder months, as it will also cause the thermometer to lose it's calibration (under-range). 

• Like 1