bryan

Chicken from my yesteryears

I'm not sure about this technique.  I guess if I lived where it was REALLY cold outside and I was a puss, I might consider this, but otherwise, I've got Beauty! and TheBeast ready at a moments notice to do chicken.

Besides, I have a gas fireplace with fake logs here at ChezChef!

5 hours ago, Jon B. said:

Joe...I have trouble cooking chicken on my KK.   Can't imagine trying that way.  Interesting though....................

What kind of trouble? Can we help?

I think I might be showing my age on this one. Times were tough. No coal or much of anything else.

17 hours ago, bryan said:

What kind of trouble? Can we help?

I tend just to cook boneless/skinless chicken breasts.................need to  be less boring and try something different.

I think my biggest problem is that I always cook them low & slow  without a thermometer and always guess wrong when to take them off the heat.

Practice, practice and more practice is needed!!!!! 

Personally I'm not a fan of low-n-slow chicken. On a kamado especially a KK really moist tender chicken can be obtained at high temp. Those last crusted boneless skinless breasts were cooked indirect 400* for 35 minutes. They were absolutely yummy. For me chicken sucks up a lot of smoke so low-n-slow gets them too Smokey.

Reef's Bistro

I do my boneless/skinless chicken breasts ~350 on the top grate set up for direct grilling. If I don't pound them out, which I usually don't, I give then 4 minutes, flip, 4 minutes, flip, 4 minutes, flip, and 4 minutes. That usually gets me in the neighborhood for temperature, then I add time if needed.

A brine before cooking helps, even if you can only do 30 minutes. 

My wife likes a bit of a char on her chicken, so it's direct grilling for me.

6 hours ago, Jon B. said:

I tend just to cook boneless/skinless chicken breasts.................need to  be less boring and try something different.

I think my biggest problem is that I always cook them low & slow  without a thermometer and always guess wrong when to take them off the heat.

Practice, practice and more practice is needed!!!!! 

I use a  thermometer from Lowes/Home Depot. Around $20 good for up to 100 feet. Maverick I think.

In fact I use two. One for product and one for the KK at product level.

I seldom do hot cooks still in love with low and slow.

Edited by bryan