Bruce Pearson

Big Bad on Patio

At last; my friend came up from Fresno and helped me move my kk32 to the backyard and onto the patio. Sorry I don't have any pictures of the move but at least here is one after we were finished. We had to take down 2 fences one in front and one in back. Got Permission from my neighbor and promised to cook something for him and family. Everything went smooth but it was heavy work moving BB, at least I won't have t worry about anyone walking off with it LOL. Now I need to cook something any suggestions for a beginner who hasn't done and grilling in 40 years? As you can see from the picture I also have a treager grill (never been used) and that other thing that's covered up is a Disc-it (also never used however) I did season it. With all this cooking stuff out there I'll never have to use my kitchen again especially when I get my cabinet from Dennis. It will hold everything I hope. Sorry about the two pictures but you get the idea.

Ok suggestions for first cook?

BigBad1on patio.jpg

• Like 1

I went down to my local grocer but couldn't find a parking spot, its like this every Sunday. I'll pick up my butt tomorrow. I guess I won't have a problem with charcoal LOL.

think I should just play with the vents or use my cyber-q? I'm a real novice. I think vents is probably the best bet I'll get some practice. Plus I told my neighbor I would do some pulled pork for my first cook. and yes sirs I'll take plenty pictures. I'll have to, almost all pictures I send turn out sideways for some reason.

To all you Dads out there have a happy fathers day.

• Like 1

@Bruce Pearson - get to intimately know your KK.  Use the vents.  

As to the internal temp (IT) I cook butts and briskets to probe tender not some temperature.  I'll start seeing how tender the cook is about 195°-200°.  When you stick in your Thermopen, it should probe like warm butter in several spots when the cook is ready to pull.  That generally happens between 200°-205° for me.

Heres to a great first cook!  

Congratulations on getting your 32" installed Bruce!  

Don't forget yardbird!   Its a quick and easy cook (once you get your burn-in done).   My preference:   Judy Rodger's (Zuni Cafe) salted & herbed roast chicken.   It truly shows off the thermal mass, radiant heat method cooking and zero airflow benefit of our KKs!    

I like to heat soak my 23" to 500-550º (after 1-2 days salted, rested & herbed process...) then put the chicken in.   Close all vents and in about 45-60 minutes you will have a roasted bird with wonderfully crisp skin yet tender & juicy meat.  

http://komodokamadoforum.com/topic/6555-grates-questions/?do=findComment&comment=70166

Just keep in mind the vent settings for a low-n-slow is very minute. Once it gets lit and coming up to temperature the settings to maintain 225* - 250* is somewhere around 1/4 turn on the top vent and just a small sliver on the bottom vent. It's so minute you're going to wonder how a fire can keep going for hours on end with so little oxygen.

Being new to grilling and kamados I would go with leg quarters. Get it stable between 375* - 425* and let them ride 60 minutes. Really hard to screw up leg quarters and much easier to get the KK stable at higher temps. After you get to know building a fire and coming up to temperature then tackle a low-n-slow Boston butt. It's really easy to over shoot a low-n-slow temperature when you're not familiar with low-n-slow kamado cooking.

Reef's Bistro