DennisLinkletter

New Draft Door Ash Screen

ashes

Hello all.

I am replying to Dennis' query about putting a grate in the ash door, but this also relates to Dennis' suggestion about putting in a pipe in a hole in the bottom of the KK, to fascilitate ash removal.

imho, it comes down to that one little advantage that steel bbqs have. And I wonder if we can incorporate it into ceramic bbqs. Nobody has doen this yet.

The weber air inlet is that three bladed swivel that covers and uncovers three slots in the steel bottom of the charcoal kettle. It doubles as a great ash catcher, as opening and closing the inlet, simultaneously sweeps ash into a steel bucket hanging below.

We all know this system.

So the challenge is, can this system be used in a ceramic cooker? You need the tight tolerances of steel on steel. So it means making a hole in the ceramic. Well, we are already making a hole in the bottom of the ceramic for air intake now. The current hole allows for tight, steel on steel covers to be in place. Maybe the hole should be in the middle instead, for a weber style collection system. I doubt weber would have a patent on this system.

Looking forward to chats.

John Noble