dstr8

Need recipe ideas for fresh Pacific Albacore...bellies too!

Looking for ideas from the gang for some new tasty recipe ideas for Pacific Albacore.   A buddy gave me 10lbs of loins and a nice bag of belly meat.   I've done plenty of poke, ceviche, sesame crusted browned in butter and looking for something new to try.

I do have an Anova so anything using the sous vide would be welcome too.

I did find a recipe for confit that I'm going to try...should be a winner.  

What says you?

And thanks in advance!   

• Like 1

Looking for ideas from the gang for some new tasty recipe ideas for Pacific Albacore.   A buddy gave me 10lbs of loins and a nice bag of belly meat.   I've done plenty of poke, ceviche, sesame crusted browned in butter and looking for something new to try.

I do have an Anova so anything using the sous vide would be welcome too.

I did find a recipe for confit that I'm going to try...should be a winner.  

What says you?

And thanks in advance!   

Hey dstr8 love my seafood and get a lot of inspiration from around the world http://www.sbs.com.au/food/ingredient/tuna

Outback Kamado Bar and Grill ♨

Definitely do some SV - sushi rare. It will be amazing. Trust me! 

Sous Vide Tuna Times and Temperatures

'Sushi', Rare: 100ºF for 10 to 20 Minutes (37.8ºC)
'Sushi', Medium Rare: 129ºF for 10 to 30 Minutes (53.9ºC)
Medium Rare: 132ºF for 10 to 30 Minutes (55.6ºC)

Tuna belly needs to be seared at high heat to get all that yummy fat happy! Just be careful and don't overcook it. Depending on thickness, probably only 15 - 20 seconds a side on the KK sear grate (or cast iron skillet). 

Edited by tony b
  • Like 1

Just saw this on Instagram.   Will happen.    Tried some of the fresh albacore loin...couldn't help myself while dicing it up for later's burgers :D...oh boy!

Good bread toasted + mustard + avocado + albacore tartare + chopped chives + a spritz of sriracha 

But first...will post fresh tuna burgers after dinner tonight ;)

Screen Shot 2016-06-23 at 3.22.19 PM.png

• Like 2

Ok...normally I wing it on fish burger ingredients but this recipe from Fine Cooking caught my eye so I decided to give it a go for tonight's bach dinner.   And the fact the recipe has zero bread/bread crumbs was another big plus.  Ditto for eggs!

Although I saute'd the patties in a carbon steel pan atop the stove I did swap in habaneros, for the thai chile peppers, that I smoked on my KK :cool:.    

Just one problem:   I only made two burgers :shock:.   But glad I have a bunch of tuna loins in the freezer!   

HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!   And don't skip the sauce!  

Screen Shot 2016-06-23 at 5.53.18 PM.png

IMG_1725.JPG

IMG_9249.JPG

Edited by dstr8
  • Like 2