CeramicChef

Reverse Seared Pineapple Pork Loin Chops

Howdy KK Cookers!

Last night I did something a little unusual and thought I'd share with you good cooks.

I had a pineapple sitting on the counter that needed to be sliced and used.  I also had a couple of pork loin chops that I needed to cook.  So, knowing that pork and pineapple go together well, I did the following.

I sliced off the sides of the pineapple and laid out my pork chops on them, covered both sides with a little butt rub, and tied everything together with butchers' string.

IMG_1360.jpg

All trussed up and ready to put on Beauty! my 19" KK.

IMG_1361.jpg

On Beauty! @ 400F with a nice FOGO fire in the KK.  Temps were rock steady at 400F the entire time of the cook ... about 40 minutes.

IMG_1362.jpg

Here are the pineapple pork chops after about 40 minutes @ 400F.  Just a slight char of the strings which never really threatened to burn.

IMG_1367.jpg

After about 40 minutes the pork loin IT was 135.  Dadgummit, I let the temps get away from me.  I was looking for about and IT of 120-125F.  The lesson learned was that the pineapple didn't provide much insulation and the pineapple pork loins cooked much quicker than I anticipated.  Next time I'll reduce the heat in Beauty! to about 300-325F and not be in a rush to head out to a meeting up at church.

Here's a pic of the pork loin that has been pulled and untrussed.  The pork loin here is essentially cooked through and through.  

IMG_1369.jpg

So, even though the pork loin was cooked, I decided to finish the reverse sear and let them rest.  The pork IT going back on Beauty! was 120F and Beauty was rocking along at 550F.  Here are the pork chops on Beauty! right before I pulled them to let them rest and plate.

IMG_1370.jpg

Here are the pork loin chops on the cutting board with a final IT of 140F.  

IMG_1372.jpg

And finally here are the pork loins slides open. and ready to plate.

IMG_1373.jpg

There are s few tips that I would pass on after this cook.  First, the pork loin chops should have been marinated in a solution of pineapple juice, soy sauce, minced garlic, minced ginger, and a little crushed black pepper.  Second, I mistakenly thought that the pineapple skin slices would provide more insulation than they did.  Third, running Beauty! at 400F was an attempt to hurry the process along; future cooks of this type should be done between 300-350F.  

The pork loin chops were tasty, not as juicy as I like, and you could taste a slight flavor of pineapple.  Marinating the pork in the above marinade would have helped the flavor.  I also think that I'll score the pineapple flesh that comes in contact with the pork to insure a better pineapple flavor.  All in all, this cook, while interesting and tasty, could have been much better if I had not tried to do so much in such a compressed time frame as I allowed. This was my first time doing this cook and I should have known to leave some slack in the rope.

Thanks for looking.  

17 minutes ago, kjs said:

Those chops look delicious.

Ken, they were pretty tasty and I appreciate your comments.  However, this is not my best effort by any means.  I needed to marinate, reduce the temp and monitor the cook better, and make certain that the cook isn't cobbled together and rushed.  

8 minutes ago, Bruce Pearson said:

Yeah!! they look very tasty and good. Pineapple, I'll have to remember that. especially since I lived in Hawaii before moving Calif. you guys are so inventive with your cooking, I have a lot to learn. Just got some 2 oz. fillets in today two to a pack. any suggestions?

Hi Bruce!  I he'd to do worthing with that pineapple. so necessity is the mutha of invention!  Nothing really inventive here, just the need to use that pineapple or feed it to the gnats!  I will say that it was quite tasty.

From the juices on the cutting board, they looked pretty juicy from here. Like the idea of "planking" the chops with the pineapple. I think you're on the right track to marinate them first, then put them on the pineapple "boards". Can't wait to hear how "round 2" comes out. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, MacKenzie said:

CC, that was a really neat idea and I imagine you had a bit of fun with it too. :)

@MacKenzie - the cook was really a lot of fun.  It's kind of fun thinking new things up and seeing how things turn out.  I absolutely love new learning experiences.  I get a lot of inspiration from your dynamite cooks.

3 hours ago, tony b said:

From the juices on the cutting board, they looked pretty juicy from here. Like the idea of "planking" the chops with the pineapple. I think you're on the right track to marinate them first, then put them on the pineapple "boards". Can't wait to hear how "round 2" comes out. 

@tony b - I am already thinking of round 2.  My initial inclination is to do the marinade and skip the pork rub.  I'll post the second cook and let y'all know.  This could be an interesting summer at ChezChef!